june fourth: red, white & royal blue

Rating: 10/10

Rating: 10/10

Type: Published book

External Link: Buy it on Amazon

About: This book is set in an alternate universe where instead of Trump winning the presidency in 2016, Ellen Claremont, a strong-willed Democrat from Texas, becomes the first female president of the United States. It follows her son, Alex Claremont-Diaz, as he comes to terms with his sexuality and finds love. At the beginning of the book, Alex and his longtime rival Prince Henry get into a fight at the royal wedding, resulting in a destroyed cake and a major PR disaster. In hopes to fix the situation, Alex has to go to England and play nice with his worst enemy. After exchanging numbers, they strike up a hesitant and hard-won friendship, which soon becomes even more. But with the next election coming up, Alex has to watch everything he says and does.

My thoughts: I cannot begin to put into words how good this book is! I binge-read it all in one night, which I don't think I've done in years. I related to Alex on so many different levels, which made it even more enjoyable. And Henry is just so sweet and romantic. It truly is an amazing book. Amazon has already bought the film rights, and while we don't know when the movie will come out, author Casey McQuiston said that it would be "something [...] in the key of Love, Simon and Crazy Rich Asians".  However, this is technically an adult book. This means it will have explicit sexual content and language. Also, in order to understand parts of the book—especially the last few chapters—you will need to have a basic understanding of how the Electoral College and the presidential elections work.