june eighteenth: the red scrolls of magic

Rating: 10/10

Rating: 10/10

Type: Published book

External Link: Buy it on Amazon

About: A Mortal Instruments spin-off, this book takes place during the events of CoFA and documents Magnus and Alec's trip across Europe. Although they plan to relax and enjoy themselves, a visit from a friendly warlock results in a quest to stop a demon worshiping cult. A cult that was founded my Magnus himself. As a joke. This book contains so much representation, including, a gay/bisexual couple, a lesbian/bisexual couple, an ace/aro character, and a (very flirty) bisexual male character.

My thoughts: This book is freaking amazing! Ever since reading TMI and watching Shadowhunters, Alec Lightwood has been my favorite fictional character. If I was male, attractive, and a demon-slaying Nephilim with a warlock boyfriend, we would be the exact same person. (Now that I'm realizing how that sounded, I basically just mean that we have very similar personalities.) So when I found out there was book where Alec was the main character, I knew I had to read it. And it did not disappoint. The plot was little but slower than the other books in the Shadowhunter Chronicles, but since there were so many moments between Magnus and Alec, I honestly didn't mind. There was even a twist at the end that I didn't expect at all. That being said, I recommend waiting to read this until after you finish TMI, as something that is casually mentioned in this book is supposed to be a plot twist at the end of CoHF. But if you're looking for a book with a lot of fluff and a good plot, you'll love this story! (Note: Although it is a spin-off, this book can also be a standalone novel.