june sixteenth: history is all you left me

Rating: 10/10

Rating: 10/10

Type: Published book

External Link: Buy it on Amazon

About: This story is told in alternating chapters that skip between before and after the main character Griffin's ex-boyfriend, Theo, died. In the past, readers find out how Griffin and Theo got together, fell in love, and ultimately broke up. In the present, they hear about how Griffin and Jackson, Theo's new boyfriend, form an unlikely friendship based in grief and understanding.

My thoughts: I. Love. This. Book. So. Freaking. Much. It made me feel seen, and not just because many of the characters are LGBTQ+. The main character, Theo, struggles with OCD, which is something that I wish I didn't understand. Also, having gone through the loss of a loved one a few years ago, this book completely summarized how I felt. And finally, the main character's gay. How much better can it get? Besides the representation, the writing is absolutely beautiful and the plot is dynamic, with a completely unexpected (but good) twist near the end. And for people like me who love happy endings, you'll like this book. (Because unlike the rest of Adam Silvera's books, the last few pages didn't make me cry.) If you are only going to buy one book on this list, pick this one. You won't regret it!