june twentieth: love, simon

Rating: 9/10

Rating: 9/10

Type: Movie

External Link: Rent it on Redbox On Demand

About: This movie is about Simon Spier, a closeted, gay, sixteen-year old who lives in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. When Simon stumbles upon a post on his school's gossip Tumblr page, he starts emailing with Blue, another gay student in his grade. But one day he forgets to log out of a computer in the school library, and end up getting blackmailed with screenshots of his emails. If Simon listens to the blackmailer, he risks his relationships with his friends, family, and most importantly, Blue. But if he doesn't, his secret will be revealed to everyone.

My thoughts: I'm pretty sure everyone knows about this movie. It was one of the first teen romcoms with a gay main character, and pretty much everyone between the ages of 12 and 19 has watched it. (At least if they're a girl or LGBTQ+) And while most movies are never as good as the books, this one was pretty close. The only reason that I gave it a 9/10 is because I think that his friends' characters act unfairly after Martin outs Simon. In the book, their reactions are more realistic and less cruel. But still, if you haven't watched this, what are you doing? Go and watch it right now. That is an order.