june tenth: as i descended

Rating: 8/10

Rating: 8/10

Type: Published book

External Link: Buy it on Amazon

About: This book is a modern retelling of Macbeth, except much more diverse. It is told from the point of view of four LGBTQ+ characters: Maria, Lily, Brandon, and Mateo. Maria is bisexual, Lily is lesbian, and Brandon and Mateo are gay. Additionally, Lily is crippled, Brandon is overweight, and Mateo and Maria are both Hispanic. The story starts when Lily, Maria, and Brandon hold a séance. A few days later, a girl is in a coma and someone else is dead. Not to mention, the spirits that have always haunted Maria are back—and this time everyone can see them.

My thoughts: I knew what I was getting into when I picked up this book. It's based on a tragic play, so of course there would be death. But since the author killed of one my favorite characters less than halfway through the book, I think I have a right to be mad. That being said, this book is amazing. The plot had me on the edge of my seat, the writing style was beautiful, and the characters—although flawed—were extremely well-developed and relatable. I really wanted to love this book. But after reading about tragedy after tragedy after tragedy, I was tired. Although I still believe this book is worth a read, don't start it if you're not prepared for an emotional journey.