Refuse

{I know I haven't updated in like, a week. I'm sorry. Don't shoot me.}

I didn't sleep for more than 3 hours maximum that night; all I could think about, dream about, were numerous horrid scenarios of Alice with Dan.

I cried at one point, maybe more, but it just made me feel considerably more guilty - if I was crying, how on Earth would Dan be feeling? I shouldn't have left him. I knew that much.

I found James in some other room down the hall, so I just crept in with him after. James never slept for more than 2 hours, 3 max, so I decided that even though a ramraid of elephants wouldn't wake him, I would keep quiet and let him sleep.

I slept for maybe 4 hours, but that's better than none.q1 I woke up to my face in a grey and black t-shirt and an arm around my waist.

"James." I said with a hint of questioning in my voice.

"Kayla." He replied, while I breathed a slight sigh of relief.

"What time is it?"

He averted his eyes to behind me where the arm around my waist was. "Seventeen-to-six. Pourquoi?" He asked, eyes flickering back to mine.

"I want to leave. Preferably as soon as possible." I replied, swinging my legs around to the edge of the bed, only to be stopped by James, pulling me back to where I was a few moments ago.

"Why? I know yesterday wasn't exactly all fluffy bunnies and unicorns, but you seemed pretty content when you came in here last night." What, being told your friend has had probably the worst thing done to them, and crying yourself to sleep? Oh yeah. Absolutely grand.

"Yeah, yeah but I don't really want to bump into any hungover teenagers or whatever." I said, lying through my teeth.

I could tell James didn't believe me, he had that look on his face - the corners of his lips turned down slightly, the lighter colour in his eyes, his eyebrows knotted together slightly - but he seemed to let it go.

"Sure. Okay. So, yours or mine?" He got up and started advancing towards the door.

"Oh. Uh. Yours? Please? I don't really want to get interrogated by my mum at 6am. You know how it is." I shrugged, trailing behind him down the stairs.

He nodded, confirming what I just said.

The living room of Will's house was directly opposite the bottom of the stairs making it near impossible to not look inside, which resulted in coming eye-to-eye with Alice, who was lying on the sofa next to, or rather on top of, Will who was still asleep.

It was incredibly hard to believe she could do anything wrong to anyone if you'd only just met her, I mean sure, she dressed like a bit of a slut, but she seemed like a great person.

Of course once you're told of someone's past, and details of who they are, it's easy enough to see through the façade.

I couldn't help but scowl a little at her, to which she grinned back at me. I was assuming she didn't think I knew what she did, only that I saw her kissing Dan.

"Are you okay Kayla?" James asked from next to the front door, with a slight concerned look on his face.

"I'm not the one people should be concerned about" I mumbled, striding outside after opening the door.

"What was that?" He asked after me, where I was now all least 7 paces in front of him.

I sighed and turned around, looking at James.

"I wish I could tell you. I really do. But you know when I refuse to tell you something, it's something big. I can't just spill it out, I'd be going against someone and I can't do that. Please, James, leave it."

"O-oh. Um. Sure, I understand." His face looked like I'd just told him his puppy had died, but was trying to hide it with a smile.

"Oh James." I walked over to him engulfing him in a hug. "You and I both know I can and will tell you anything, but it's just this one time. I swear. You know I don't keep anything from you but I know I just can't go around telling people things even if it is you. I shouldn't be the one telling people secrets that aren't mine."

He hugged me tighter and nodded. "I understand, I know you wouldn't keep anything from me unless it was important." He pulled away looking at me for a moment before slapping me gently on the cheek. "It's gonna be fun seeing those hungover bastards in school."

I didn't even realise it was Monday.

"You forgot didn't you." I nodded slightly, biting my bottom lip. "Smh. Never mind." Turning around, he started screaming "Okay, so LET'S GO SLAP SOME MOTHERFUCKERS!" He skipped off down the road twirling around every now and then with me walking behind him.

"You can't just say abbreviations, James, that's lazy." I said balling up the wrists of my jumper and pulling them into my palms, while crossing my arms.

James stopped mid-twirl and pulled a straight face. "Do I look like I fucking care, Damson?"

"Yes." I replied, also with a straight face.

"Bitch" He smirked, and skipped away again.