17: Bothered

GULF'S POV

I woke up and he wasn't beside me. I stretched and looked at my phone to see an unread text message from him.

Mew: Good morning, Gulf! Sorry I had to leave early. I have to work on a project with my partner. Meet me at the cafe later at 4pm for our tutoring session. Take care for the rest of the day. Don't forget to eat! :)

I grumbled and I could feel my throat's sore. My eyes feel so heavy. I don't know when I fell asleep last night. All I remember is crying for what felt like hours. To be honest, I don't know why I started feeling so bad yesterday and I didn't really expect myself to pour out all those emotions. It was just one of those nights, I guess. It was the first time, in a very long time, I cried in front of anybody. It's hard for me to talk about my parents. When I start to think about them and start feeling shitty, I'm usually alone in my own room. It feels different now that Mew's with me.

He's been taking care of me a whole lot. That day we ate beef noodles, he told me how much he's changed since meeting me. I didn't think that I had that kind of impact on him. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about his kindness and his sincerity. It feels unusual considering we're just friends. I don't think I'd do these kinds of things with Saint or Gun. So how would I even describe us? Whatever. It feels good to know that I can help him in more ways than one but I sort of feel like I'm not doing enough. I should start taking care of him as much as he takes care of me.

–––––––

I walked in the cafe and looked for him.

"Gulf! Over here!".

I looked back and saw him at the corner of the cafe. He's not alone. I don't know who that other guy is. I've never seen him before. They were sitting next to each other and had tons of papers on the table. I approached them, greeting them as I sat down.

"Gulf, sorry for the mess. This is Pleum, my partner on the project I was talking about. Is it okay if he joins us? We haven't finished our work yet. You can do your stuff on your own first and if you have questions, just ask me okay?", Mew explained and went back to typing on his laptop.

Pleum waved and smiled. "Hi Gulf! Sorry to bother your tutoring session. I need some guidance myself, you see", he laughed.

Mew laughed at his remark. "What now, Pleum? I told you, just rewrite this stuff first and then fix the charts". He leaned over Pleum's laptop.

"Yeah, yeah, I get it. I'm not as smart and efficient as you!", Pleum nudged him.

Mew laughed and grabbed Pleum's hand. "Okay, I'm sorry. Just keep doing what you're doing". He stroked his hand before letting it go. They seem really close?

After watching the two of them for a while, I opened my bag to bring out my worksheets and started going through them. I tried to focus but I couldn't; not with Mew and Pleum's never ending banter. At this point, I'm staring at my papers, not really understanding what's in front me. I can't comprehend what they're talking about but Mew keeps helping Pleum on his computer. They keep teasing each other but when Pleum acts like he's offended, Mew holds his hand.

"I'll go ahead. You guys continue your project". I fixed my stuff, shoving everything in my bag.

"Hey, Gulf" I looked up and Pleum was smiling at me. "You want to come with us to the bar down the road later?".

"Oh yeah, are you going straight home Gulf? You can ask Zee and Saint to come, maybe you can even text Off and Gun", Mew asked me.

"Are you sure it's okay?". I didn't really feel like going to the bar tonight.

"The more the merrier!", Pleum exclaimed.

–––––––

We arrived a little later than expected. Well actually, we arrived a lot later. It's already 10PM. We could have gotten here earlier but Gun couldn't decide what shirt to wear. He ended up borrowing one of Saint's.

"There's Mew!", Off said. We looked at the direction he's pointing at and saw him with Pleum at a big table. We walked towards them and they were leaning on each other. Are they already drunk?

"You're wasted already? You couldn't wait for us?", Off sat next to Mew, hitting his arm.

Mew giggled. He motioned his hand to all of us. "Guys, this is Pleum. Pleum, this is guys".

"Hi guys!", Pleum yelled through the music. "I'm Pleum. Mew's good old drinking buddy".

I could see Saint trying to hold back his laughter at the two tipsy guys in front of us. Gun, on the other hand, looked annoyed at their state.

"Uh, I guess we better order shots now if we want to keep up with these two", Zee commented and flagged a server.

"Here, Gulf. Take mine", Mew offered me his glass and I could tell it was just straight up vodka.

"No thanks, Mew. I don't feel like drinking". I grabbed the glass and put it back down.

After the first round, drinks on top of drinks started pouring at our table. I was the only one sober and the only one who can fully function well. It's probably like one in the morning already and the night's starting to die down. Gun dragged Off to the dance floor a few minutes ago but they haven't come back since. Everyone was too wasted to move. Zee and Saint are sitting beside me but haven't spoken a word.

"Guys, I'm going to the bathroom", Pleum stood up and left.

"Hey! Don't leave! One more round!", Mew grabbed his wrist and tried to pull him back down.

The last time I saw Mew this drunk was when I met him on my first night at the house. Was he also drinking with Pleum back then? Mew probably can't handle another drink right now. I should take him home.

"Saint, I'll go ahead. I'm bringing Mew with me. You guys alright on your own?", I tapped his shoulder. He groaned in response.

I stood up and went around the table to help Mew up from behind. "Hey, let's go".

He closed his eyes and whined. "But Pleum! I want to stay!".

"Mew, you've had too much to drink". I'm trying to lift him up but he won't cooperate.

"Since when did you count, Pleum?" he laughed. I released him from my grip.

"Mew, it's Gulf".

He looked back and realized it was me. "Oh, Baby Gulf! Let's go home now!".

Taking him home was a challenge. Not only did we walk, but we would stop a couple of times so he could puke his guts out. It's a little annoying how he is right now. When we got home, I took his shoes off but I couldn't be bothered to help him change clothes. I was too drained. I lied down next to him and he faced me.

"Do you want to cuddle, Gulf?".

"You reek of vomit and sweat. Let's just hold hands tonight". I grabbed his hand and interlocked our fingers. I turned around because I didn't want to face him tonight.

"Okay, good night". He dozed off instantly.

I wasn't sleepy. Just tired. I can't help but to think of this afternoon and tonight. How come he never mentioned Pleum before? Seeing them, I realized Mew has a habit of holding people's hands when he wants to comfort them. I thought I was the only one who he did that with. Why does that bother me? I shouldn't be bothered. It's not like I have the right to be bothered. I'm just a 'really special friend' and Pleum probably is too.

Saint was right. I shouldn't mistake Mew's kindness for something else.

I shouldn't develop feelings.