Chapter 9

Katniss' POV
"Katniss?"

A body is hovering over me, but I don't look up. I can't quite place the voice, because I can almost only hear my sobs.

"Katniss."

The time the voice is less shaky and more persistent. The person that owns the voice wants me to look up and answer.
But I don't. I can't.

"Katniss."

It shivers down my spine when a shaking hand touches my shoulder. It's almost not even touching me, more hovering over me. But I can still feel it shaking.
I know who it is now.

"Peeta.. Im.. sorry.. I shouldn't have come he-here.." I mumble inbetween my sobs.

I look up fromm my hands, and he looks like he just saw a ghost. Or a mutt, for that matter. He kind of looks like when I first saw him after the rescuing. All bruised up. Completely torn.

"Wait, you broke every bone in your body. How are you able to stand?" His whole body isn't bandaged up anymore. Just most of it.

He removes his scared hand from my shoulder and says: "It's the Capitol. They gave me some sort of medicine to help my bones heal quicker. They used bigger amounts where I needed it more, like my ribs and my spine. And I can only stand on my fake leg." realize that is only standing on one leg.

"Okay," I nod. I don't know what else to say. I'm sitting in a little corner in his room, crying like a baby over myself. He hates me, most of his bones are broken, yet his first instinct is still to stand up and comfort me, even though I'm the one to blame for all of this. For everything.

I owe him the whole world, and he doesn't owe me anything, yet it is still him that keeps on giving and giving and giving. And as greedy as I am, I take it all without even hesitating. And I don't even give anything in return.

He sits down next to me. I can tell that he is trying to hold himself back from strangling me, which is good.

"The doctors told me that they are going to give my fake leg some sort of cell operation. I'll be able to control it with my brain, and there is going to me some wires that will run through my boy, inside of me and stuff. It's complicated to explain, but hopefully it'll work like a normal leg," he tells me.

I wipe my tears with the back of my hand, and say: "That's great Peeta! That's incredible!" I lean in for a hug, but then I remember that he doesn't want our bodies to be intertwined.

"Why are you even here?" He asks, looking at me.

I debate on whether I should tell him about Gale or not. It'll probably be a bad idea for him to know that Gale is wandering around these halls. But, then again, if I lie to him, and he finds out, he'll probably not trust me ever again, snce now I don''t have to do a lot to lose the little trust I have already earned.

"Some things happend, and I wasn't able to be in my own room," I say, shrugging.

"What happend?" He asks curiously.

"It.. I.. He.. Um.." I try to find a way to tell him, without him going crazy, but it's almost impossible.

"It is something that is going to make me act differently?" He says in a hurt voice. He is debating whether he wants to hear it or not.

"I.. I don't know," I answer truthfully. Would he? I remember the talk he had with Gale, on the mission to kill President Snow. They actually acted like friends.

"Has it something to do with Gale?"

"How did you know?"

"When you came in, I wasn't in a coma. I was sleeping, but I woke up, when I could hear Gale yelling from outside," he says.