Chapter 17

Katniss' POV
It's been four months since we came back from the Capitol. Gale moved back to District 2, since he had more jobs to do, so we don't have to care about him messing with Peeta anymore. I've moved into Peeta's house, since my house reminds me too much of Primrose. I am not able to call her what I used to call her anymore. It hurts too much to only say 'Prim'. I can feel myself shaking a bit, when I think about her name. It's like 'Prim' and 'Primrose' are two different people.

But even if Primrose was still alive, I could never stay there after I was attacked by that black shadow. Before I moved in with Peeta, I'd always wake up in the middle of the night, screaming and crying from the nightmares, and I'd call Peeta, making him come over to me.

But now, I feel Peeta's arms wrapping around me, comforting my shaky body. He turns me around, causing me to look into his beautiful, blue eyes. Every time I see and feel him, all I can think about is the kiss on the beach in the arena. One of our last kisses. One of the only kisses where I felt something.

"Are you okay?" He softly asks. I nod.

"Are you sure?" He once again asks. Instead of saying anything, I snuggle into his chest, my nose taking in the scent of cotton and bread. His shirt is soft against my face, and it makes me feel safe and comfortable. When my whole body is as close to him as it can come, I feel a pleasant smile creeping on my face. His big arms wrap around me.

---

I walk into the kitchen, as a nice smell of newly baked bread hits my nostrils.

"Hellooo," I say, playfully dragging out the 'o'.

"Hellooo," Peeta relipes, mimicking my voice.

"How'd you sleep?" He asks, making his way over to me. It's been like this for a long time. Flirting and stuff. But none of us wants to make the first move. Well, maybe I am the only one who wants to make a move. I still don't know how Peeta even feels about me.

I hop onto the counter, and pull Peeta over to me. He positions himself inbetween my legs. I stretch my arms over his shoulders, crossing my left wrist over my right. Peeta rests his hands, partly on my hips, partly on my thighs. He slowly leans in, seductively whispering:

"Would you like some bread, Katniss?"

I can't help but laugh at his comment.

"Oh, so now you're laughing at me?" He asks teasingly, pulling away from me.
And before I know it, I am thrown over is shoulder.

"Peeta! Peeta, put me down!" I squeal, trying not to die of laughter.

He spins around, making me dizzy. Then, he runs into the living room, throwing me down onto the couch.

He then gets on top of me, crawling towards my face. I can't help but laugh a little bit at this. This moment is so perfect, and I think that I am finally getting what I want. When his face is hovering over mine, I wrap my arms around his neck, letting my fingers run through the hair on the back of his head.

His face is looking at me with a mix of a lovingly and a seductive look. I smile so much at his expression, that a little giggle slips out. I never giggled before, but these past few months has been different. Everything is different, for the better, that is.

"You just can't stop laughing at me today. Am I really that ugly?" He jokes.

"No., you're pretty handsome today, actually," I respond.

He smiles at me, and then his face moves slowly moves down to mine, letting me prepare for what is coming.

When our lips almost can't be any closer, before touching, I smell something. A burning smell.