part 17

i was laying in bed, i would reckon it was about 2 or 3am, i hadn't slept in a couple of nights. it was hard to get sleep when you were terrified that at any moment your dad could just storm into your room and literally do whatever he wanted to do to you. i was terrified of being in my own house. imagine being terrified of where you live.

i probably managed to get in about 10 minutes of sleep before my dad came and woke me back up. "max" he almost yelled at me, i woke up and sat up immediately. "your ...um... mum left for a ...um... business thing" he said to me, i nodded. "you need to help me look after the kids" he told me, "i need to work" he said as he walked back out the room. i sighed and got out of my bed. i heard my dads car drive away. tomorrow was supposed to be my return to school but i guess it wasn't anymore.

it had been a few days that my dad left me in charge and i wasn't doing too bad. i kept them from getting sugar highs and it wasn't that bad. at night i wouldn't sleep, maybe for like maximum an hour. so not only was i exhausted i had to take care of 2 scream children all day. school had called everyday but i'd just ignored it, so had my dad. i hated school anyway but i didn't want to take care of 2 kids. i would prefer to go to school.

today was my dads first day off but i was still taking care of the kids. it'd been at least a week since i started helping my dad. he'd done fuck all, as much as he'd been working. i was getting both the kids ready when i heard a knock at the door. i just continued to get brooklyn ready. there was another knock. "max, get the fucking door" my dad yelled at me from the living room. "why don't you i'm tryna get brooklyn ready" i yelled back. there was another knock before i heard my dad's footsteps coming up the stairs. "what was that" my dad asked as he smacked me in the face. i fell to the ground. "get the fucking door" he said as there was another knock at the door. i scrambled to my feet and walked down the stairs. i opened the door and saw mr bates standing at the door. "hello max" he smiled. "what do you want" i asked him. "well you were meant to come back to school last week and you didn't" he smiled. "max who is it" my dad yelled from up the stairs. "it's someone from school" i yelled back. "tell them to piss off i need your help" he yelled. "well can't really argue with my dad can i" i smiled slightly as i shut the door.