Chapter 29: Victoria

I was feeling pretty good after Defence Against the Dark Arts. Of course, all of that went out the window as Professor Trelawney called me up for my Divination exam.

I swear her room had gotten hotter since the last time I had been there. I already knew what I was going to pretend to see. I'd pass divination even if it meant predicting my own death. I was pretty sure everyone did that, so whatever.

I stared at the crystal ball for a few seconds before faking a gasp. "What do you see dear?" Professor Trelawney asked.

"I-I-I see it. The dark figure. It's-it's a dog. No, it's not just any dog. It's-it's the grim." I tried to force myself to sound shocked and scared.

Apparently Professor Trelawney believed it because she sent me on my merry way with a sad look. I left as quick as I could. I bumped into Bianca at the bottom of the stairs, and she grabbed my shoulders. "How'd it go?" She asked.

"Eh, I just told her I saw the grim. She believed it."

"Ugh," She grumbled, "I can't use that. Why didn't you just tell her you saw fog?"

"Because if I failed this class, Owen would fully beat me, and you'd lose money to Derrick another time."

"I didn't lose last year," She humphed.

"Owen was passed out last year. See you later," I called over my shoulder as I left for the grounds. My mom, dad, and Owen were already sat by the lake. "How are you three already done?" I asked, plopping down beside them.

We sat and chatted for a while about the previous tests and what the summer held for us. Pip landed on my shoulder a few minutes later, and I plucked the letter out of his grip.

Lost appeal. They're going to execute at sunset. Nothing you can do. Don't come down. I don't want you to see it.

-Hagrid

I read it aloud before turning to Owen with wide eyes. "We have to go down. Say goodbye you know."

"We'll go after dinner. Come on," My dad said, standing up and helping me stand with him.

After dinner we all threw our invisibility caps on and ran down to Hagrid's hut. Apparently we weren't the only ones with the idea. Hagrid's door was already open, and he was letting a few others in.

We all took off our cloaks, caps, and Zagan turned back into a human. I looked around the cabin and was shocked by all the faces I found. Jason, Leo, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Zagan were all here. Hagrid was telling us all we shouldn't have come when a voice sounded in my head. My lady, boss, I will be fine. Do not despair.

I sighed and sat down on Hagrid's bed and laid my head on my dad's shoulder.

Ron found scabbers, but other than that, us demigods stayed quiet. It was hard enough to face the fact that Buckbeak was going to die, let alone try and cheer up Hagrid.

Soon, Hagrid spotted the executioner coming. He told us all to leave, and we left through the back. We started slowly making our way to the castle. I really didn't want to hear what was happening, but something was obviously slowing down Leo, Jason, Hermione, Ron, and Harry. The easiest way to tell was that Zagan was a small fly flying right by them.

They kept stopping and starting over and over again. Just when I thought we might get away without hearing anything, there was the sound of an axe hitting something. My heart stopped, and I had to stifle the sob that nearly escaped my lips. Buckbeak was gone, and we weren't able to help him.