Chapter 41. Endgame

I do not own this story. It originally belongs to EvilFuzzy9 which was republished by Fpsroxas.

Naruto Shippuden belongs to Masashi Kishimoto

(^)(^)(^)(^)(^)

I feel the weight in my belly, the warm pressure of a steadily growing life in my womb, and I cannot help but wonder when it first changed. How many days has it been, since I awoke under the roof of my old bedroom? Since my mom came in to wake me up, and I looked into her eyes, and felt my heart stop with the sudden jolt of realization.

She should have been dead. This building should be mere rubble.

I should have been a man.

My name is Sasuki Uchiha. I am the second daughter of Fugako and Mikoto Uchiha. Darling of my clan.

Except that should not be possible. I'm Sasuke Uchiha. A man.

And the LAST Uchiha.

I cannot measure how long I have walked in this illusory world. I have memories going back to the earliest years of my youth – memories of growing up as a male, alone and vengeful, but also memories of growing up amongst family and friends, loved and lauded by my peers.

I have memories of swearing to kill my brother for the massacre of our clan. Yet I also have memories of making love to my sister, of her guiding me through my first time with gentle, loving touches.

There are times when I cannot tell which of these are real. Nor can I clearly discern when these two disparate sets of memories first began to intersect. Sometimes it feels like it was only a few weeks ago; other times, I feel like I've been living in this world forever.

I do not know if I can trust my memories. I know what should be, and yet I also know what is. Can I truly call this world false, if I live and breath within it?

What was it Itami—Itachi?—told me?

What is reality? What would you do if everything you've ever known, everything you've ever believe to be true, proved to be false? What if the world we live in is nothing more than a vast, intricate illusion? What, then, is reality? Is it what you see before you, the life you live every day, or is it some arcane, unknowable secret far beyond the grasp of mere mortals?

It seems very poignant. And I think there is wisdom in it.

I can't be sure what is real. I can't rely on memories to tell me the truth, not when those memories could be nothing more than false constructs. All I can do is trust in the reality I see before me, and in the life I am living everyday.

I feel the weight in my belly, the warm pressure of a steadily growing life in my womb, and I think of my love, the only constant through all the illusions and doubts.

I smile, and my heart yearns.

"Come home soon, Naruto."

(^)(^)(^)(^)(^)

It was always raining in Amegakure. This village was located upon an atmospheric crossroad, so to speak; warm air coming up from the Land of Fire, moisture-laden clouds blown in from the sea and the Land of Water, storm fronts coming down from the slopes of Kaminari no kuni.

Just as the armies of these nations oft used the Land of Rain as their battleground, so too did the weather fronts from their lands come to clash in the skies of this country. The atmosphere roiled constantly, different levels of pressure slipping under and over, and crashing upon one another like tectonic plates colliding in the tumults of a neverending earthquake.