roses. | sixteen

i bought fresh roses. they arrived this morning. no matter how greatly i wanted to be wretched, i hopped in merriment once the shipment vehicle arrived.

buying them evoked mr. rose into my mind, as anticipated, and there was a miniature wicked song in my head advising me not to do it, that it will secure my destruction.

i didn't want him to neglect me. i acknowledge he wasn't mine, i understand i was nothing but a florist to him, but it was my solitary attachment to mr. rose. my single guarantee that he would appear to me anew and grin at me for another time.

he stepped into the shop.

"hey, still no roses today?"

should i be inelegant or ceremonious with him? did i view him as more than a reappearing client?

yes, i did.

"yeah, actually. got some this morning. here for your thirteen roses?"

he chuckled, showing me those bright, calla lily teeth. those senseless flowers in my abdomen were watered, supplied the sunbeams of my fervor, and now in mature blossom, as i sank back in adoration with this character.

i substantially leaped back to get his roses. i hacked, the warmth in the space almost smothering my lungs.

clutching the thirteen roses and uniting them together with a rubber strap, i recognized an additional petal on one of them. taking it off, i sprinted back to the counter to give them to mr. rose.

"here, mr. rose."

he accepted the roses and fished in his wallet for the money. "and, um, only twenty from now on. you pay enough for twelve roses, yeah?"

"well, thank you." mr. rose said before he went.

mr. rose was an opium poppy. he was delightful to the heart; you could virtually never stop gazing at him, and intoxicatingly addictive. the instant you get one sound to him. you substantially never wanted to cease communicating, and you'd be sorrowful until you spoke afresh.