roses. | sixty-three

when i marched into ms. alena's office today, she was exceeding surprise. reassured, even.

"oh, eren! i didn't think i'd see you again. after you ditched me last week... well, my imagination doesn't have a limit," she exclaimed with a giggle. 

"i'm glad to see you in my office today. how have you been feeling?"

she tucked a coil of sable brown hair behind her ear, and her enormous smile was now obvious. the moment i placed my eyes upon it, i could solely think of mr. rose's lips. they were too familiar! i have never seen a person be so thoughtlessly felicitous, to disseminate such delight and joviality with one smooth moment.

but as she stared at me, i understood one thing: she said i didn't come last week.

guaranteed, i couldn't remember last friday at all. it was a black abyss i had not attempted to conceal; the single thing that appeared to correlate with the obscurity of friday was the dream of mr. rose, and it was a thing that brought bittersweet merriment to myself each time i reminisced about it.

"mr. jaeger? you there?"

i jumped in my seat, then refocused on her.

"are you still thinking about selling the shop? have you reconsidered?"

i sighed, pulling out my notepad.

i can't talk, alena. doctor's orders.

"oh? well then, is there anything that happened recently that you want to tell me about?"

well, certainly, there was plenty to divulge about, but i wasn't sure if i wanted to share yet. i could endlessly rhapsodize about mrs. rose's gloves, or the way she walks, or talks, but i was not particularly sane for thinking so tediously about such diminutive things. i know ms. alena would never inform me of my insanity, yet i believe she already personally thinks i am.

so i shook my head, and although the session went placidly, she peered at me keenly the entire time, like i was hiding something so precious to her under my skin.