roses. | forty-nine

there was truly no way out of this. i had fallen in love with mr. rose, and now i was stuck, unable to get up. 

"thirteen roses, please." 

"ah, mr. rose..." 

my wintertime jacket created a squeaking noise while i strolled to prepare his roses. 

"here you go, mr. rose–" 

he gleamed at me, certainly delighted. 

"i'm going to propose to her." 

as if my fortitude had not already fragmented, it comminuted my heart exceeding repair. i extricated my clutch on the roses and they dropped to the ground. 

"mr. rose, don't you think it's... that it's too early?" 

"ah, yes, i have been contemplating whether i should wait, but... it feels like we're soulmates. i never believed in soulmates, i'm still wary of it now, but it feels like if i don't secure her now, i'll never find one like her again." 

the roses were surmounting, enthusiastic to burst out of my bare, throbbing, bleeding throat, and if he did not rush, i was apprehensive he would notice me in my most defenseless predicament once more. 

"of course you could, mr. rose. maybe you haven't been looking in the right places."

mr. rose peered at me. "what could that mean?" 

deliberately, delicate strings of blood rolled down my lower lip and upon my coat, painting it. a forest-green petal slipped out of my mouth and fluttered in the air, gliding above a strand of his hair. dashes of lethargy and dizziness ran into my head and vision, and i caught myself on the counter before i fell.

with a stifled sound and two fingers pressed tightly to my lips, desirous to retain those flowers and restrain them from dropping the obscurity of my mouth, i answered mr. rose.

"ah, never mind. if you want to propose, you have my full support, if that means anything." 

"thank you."