roses. | seventeen

why were there petals on the ground? i was confident that i sprinkled them recently, and they look healthy, so why did it appear as if they were rotting? it's feasible i was overwatering.

there was no chance to dwell upon it because mr. rose gallivanted in just as i was leaving to go give the roses more water.

"hey, mr. rose," i greeted, already stepping to get his thirteen roses.

"hey. we went on a date again yesterday, and can i just tell you how sweet she is? she's a really gentle girl. driven by her dreams, she is. unstoppable if she wants something."

i worked my hardest to smile at him, but it prickled my core like i pulverized glass on it. to listen to my crush describe a different person the style i crave him to define me.

"she sounds really nice, mr. rose. i'd love to meet her someday."

why did i state that? it beat me to merely imagine there being someone other, but facing her? viewing the gentlewoman that mr. rose spent extra for? i'd crumble into insignificance.

"well, i'll be sure to bring her with me another time."

"here's your roses, mr. rose," i said, presenting them to him.

he gave me a twenty and said, "are you sure you don't want me to pay the extra four dollars?"

"yes, i'm sure, mr. rose. do you want to pay the extra four dollars?"

mr. rose simpered. "i think i'm good. thank you, have a nice day."

he sauntered out of the shop, leaving me grinning.

mr. rose wasn't a flower. he was too intense, excessively animated, additionally complex, exceedingly human to be as innocent and harmless as a flower.