roses. | twenty-five

i sprang from hacking to gasping for air near the time that mr. rose arrived in. i inwardly blasphemed myself to eternal condemnation.

he strolled in. ugh, why do i have such inconvenient timing? i was swift to step to wherever the roses were.

coughing and puffing for eternity, a clump of petals dropped on the floor.

"oh, wow," i reacted promptly before walking back to the counter.

mr. rose stood there, grinning when i arose from the back.

"i was thinking that you had closed again and that you ju—woah—are you okay? what happened to your mouth?"

i laid my fingers on my lips, tasting and touching that bold fluid, and rubbed it off my lip.

"oh, i uh, bit some skin off. sorry that you have to see me bloodied," i quipped, ponderously laughing and scratching my crown.

"it's fine, i was just worried. thirteen roses, please?"

i nodded and swore to myself once over because he mentioned it. though, it felt pleasant, the hardness in my chest calming down for a moment, recognizing that he could be anxious concerning me on occasions.

"how was it? asking her out, i mean."

mr. rose lightened when i suggested her. it was intriguing; how he was perpetually comfortable with chatting around her, and i sensed my heart that formerly fastened and clasped together whenever he mentioned her, was now numbing, growing to be accustomed to not being considered.

i wouldn't be the character for mr. rose, so what's the meaning of begrudging the circumstance? what's the intent of despising his beloved if that aspect will never develop?

"she said she needed time to think about it, but she didn't look mad, so i'm expecting good results."

i nodded and mr. rose took the roses from my hand and gave me a twenty.

"well, i hope it comes out well."

"thank you."

i ached to dislike her, but i could only envy her. how could i despise someone if i understood that it would never succeed anyway? mr. rose doesn't fancy me, he'd barely give a thought if i oozed out on the carpet.

he'd hardly spend consideration if i stopped existing facing him, vines extending out of my mouth, shredding my tissue separate.

he'd only entirely pay attention if i was a graceful rose shrub.