roses. | eighty

mr. rose, associated more informally as levi, pounded on the door so cacophonously it imitated a horologe driving in and out of my ears, providing a headache by the time i rose awake.

"mr. florist! mr. florist, please!"

mr. florist?

i didn't believe i would hear that title again. i merely assumed that after i showed him my name, and he expressed it, that it would remain as that forever.

but, who was i to deceive? after all, i am just a measly little florist.

i hadn't realized that i locked the door.

i jumped from the chair, walked to the entrance, and shouldered it open. he burst in and practically jostled me back into the seat.

"damn, you're even paler. i didn't even know that was possible. are you okay?"

i looked at him and pointed to the ratty notebook on the counter, the hardcover outweighing the wrinkled paper below.

he fished in his rear pocket and drew out a pen. the tusche was nearing its end, but i didn't object.

do you love me, levi?

"do i love you? well, uh, i... i don't know. maybe."

i permitted my head to fall back and hit the drywall. 

you're lying. i can feel it.

he stared, tilting his head a bit. he went to connect our hands, but i pushed mine away; i declared to nevermore tear his beautiful porcelain skin for the surviving remainders of my life.

if you really did love me, then these thorns would be mere hairs.