Chp. 3- A Slow Summer

The summer went by slowly. I began to feel comfortable around the neighborhood and around my dad. It didn't change things much though. I did learn something horrifying.

My dad was a drunk.

I woke up to the sound of glass shattering coming from the living room. I immediately jumped out of my bed and ran to see what was going on. It was my dad. And he reaked of alcohol.

"Go back to sleep Ava" he slurred his words out. "I'm fine, I just accidently broke this whiskey bottle."

"You look like you smashed it on the ground!" I said horrified as I stared at the tiny glass shards that scattered on the floor.

"I said go back to sleep!" He yelled with anger blazing in his eyes.

I jumped at his tone and bolted back to my room, shutting the door securely behind me. I could still hear his voice from the living room.

"I can't do this.." He repeated over and over.

Tears started to fill up in the corner of my eyes. I buried myself withing my blankets as I cried into my pillow. I didn't want this. I desperately wished I could escape this nightmare as I tried to fall asleep.

Every day that summer I had woken up, lousy and deflated. I couldn't find any energy in myself to leave my bed. I didn't even want to. I spent most of my days staring at the ceiling, looking back at what my life has become. I tried to remember the good memories I had before my mother's passing. And I wanted nothing more than to rewind the accident. I wanted to be back safe in my bed at home. With my mother.

Not here.

I soon realized my father's drunken nights became daily. Night after night. I was slowly starting to get used to it and usually, I stayed withi my room, too scared to even take so muc as a step outside. I had no idea what this man was capable of. And there was no way I was going to find out.

There was only one thing that took the pain away.

I had just gotten out of the shower as the towel wrapped around my body. Iat the mirror and wiped away the mist that covered it. I could see a scared, desperate girl staring back at me. This wasn't who I was. This wasn't what I wanted. I needed to get out of here.

I needed to find an escape.

From the corner of my eye, I spotted something silver. I squinted to get a closer look, to find that it was a blade.

I slowly picked it up with my damp hand and stared at it intently. I gulped as I realized what this blade was used for.

This was my escape.

Before my mom's passing, I had never dared to even think about ever harming myself. There was simply no reason to.

But tonight, I had made an exception.

..

So if you guys can tell, its currently summer in the story. But I'll soon introduce Taylor in the next chapter or so. So read on!