My Favorite Person

The doors swung open with ease. There was no lock or barricade up. The Cradle was busy as always, but a tangible tension hung in the air as soon as eyes began to wander and stick to the door and the figures standing in its frame. The five spectacles clustered together, tense under the weight of the looks in the room. Some were confused while others looked sad and angry. Beatrice, Camila, and Lilith were clearly very uncomfortable with this kind of attention. Ava and Mary seemed to be faring just fine, being so used to the disapproving looks.

"Hey guys," Ava spoke first. She raised her hand in a wave and awkwardly pushed herself to her toes before sinking back down when she saw Mother Superion's stern glare upon her.

"What are you doing here?"

"Wow, missed you to," Ava quipped. The warning glares she got from the other four girls around her told her that was a bad idea. "Apologies, Mother. We returned to help."

Mother Superion opened her mouth to speak when a friendly male voice boomed from behind her. "I didn't know we were having guests, Mother," the man greeted. He stood next to Mother Superion who bowed her head in respect.

"Father Steven," she greeted him. She extended her arms warmly to the girls. "These are some of the old inhabitants of Cat's Cradle, also known as the group of girls who released Adriel," she muttered, cautious of the many ears bent towards the conversation.

Father Steven's smile fell and his face was set into a much more serious tone. "I see. We will continue this conversation in my office. Follow me." Ava looked back at the Sisters questioningly. The looks on their faces didn't put Ava at ease as she had hoped. They instead returned her questioning glance and followed after Father Steven and Mother Superion as they made their way through the many winding halls of the Cat's Cradle.

They eventually stopped at a door on the left side of the hall. Father Steven fished a keyring from his pocket and flipped through the countless keys before finding the one that matched the lock. He opened the door and silently gestured for the women to go in before him. Her entered last and closed the door behind him. He stepped behind his desk and looked out at the women before him before taking in a deep breath.

"I have spoken to Duretti and he is feeling more forgiving than usual. He understands that you were deceived by Vincent and that you were doing what you thought was God's will. He is allowing you to remain members of the Holy Catholic Church and as members of the Order of the Cruciform Sword."

"So we aren't excommunicated?" Beatrice sat a bit taller than before.

"No, you're membership is intact. But any further violations aren't likely to be forgiven. You will also be allowed to stay in Spain so long as you are obedient and do not have another, how should I say this," he paused, "incident."

Mother Superion stepped forward to stand beside the desk. "With that being said, let's get you girls into some more appropriate clothing." She looked them all up and down disapprovingly before she silently lead the girls out into the halls of the Cat's Cradle. Father Steven followed behind them, closing and locking the door to his office.

Ava found this a bit odd. "Hey, what's so secret you gotta lock it up in there?"

Father Steven seemed taken aback. "Records regarding the members of the OCS. I'm protecting everyone's personal information."

Ava nodded in understanding. "Huh. I guess that makes sense."

Father Steven smiled at that. "Welcome back, Ava Silva."