31I Pleasant Stroll

I walked into the living room, ready to just collapse onto the couch after another stressful hour of studying in the library for biology. Sadly, life had other plans.

As soon as I walked through the door, I was met with the sight of Liam pressing a girl up against the wall, kissing her ferociously.

That was all I could make out in the quick glimpse I got before I turned on my heel and practically sprinted out of the room. I was officially scarred. It was now impossible to get that image out of my mind.

Fuck you Liam something Bradley.

Letting out an annoyed sigh at what my innocent eyes had just been forced to witness, I decided that the best thing for me to do in the moment would be to get a breath of fresh air and clear my head.

"I'm going to the park!" I called out. I was pretty sure Noah was upstairs, but if he wasn't and Liam was the only one home, then I just hoped that he heard me. If not then oh well. I probably wouldn't die if they thought I went missing but then realised I just went for a walk. Probably.

I shook my head to get rid of my unnecessary thoughts and began to stroll down our long driveway. I wasn't very familiar with the surrounding area and I wasn't entirely sure where I was going without my brother's help, but I had a pretty good idea of how to get there, so I carried on.

I walked down a couple of streets, recognizing certain buildings as I did so that made me relieved that I was managing to actually go in the right direction. Good. Now I wouldn't have to cry myself to sleep on the side of the street.

I was walking down the pavement in a housing estate, only having seen a couple of people, when I heard footsteps slapping the pavement behind me. I didn't particularly want to turn around since I assumed that they weren't running towards me, so I just continued facing forwards.

This meant that I was pleasantly surprised when the sound of footfall slowed down as the person was almost directly behind me. I still didn't look back, but saw a figure appear by my side and begin to walk in step beside me.

From the corner of my eye, I could clearly see who it was. Owen.

"Are you stalking me?" I asked, still keeping my gaze forwards. It looked cool when people did it in the movies.

"Nope. I'm just catching up with a beautiful girl I saw on my walk," he chuckled softly in response.

My heart fluttered slightly when he called me 'beautiful' and I felt my cheeks hear up. Damn it. Now he could tell I was flustered by his comment.

"It's alright, princess. I just saw you while I was taking a pleasant stroll and I thought I would catch up with you," he smirked, probably catching sight of my red cheeks.

This time I felt I couldn't ignore him, so I turned to him with a small smile on my face and playfully punched him in the shoulder. "Hey!" Owen whined with a cute pout, dramatically grabbing his shoulder like he had just been shot.

It was obvious I hadn't hurt him at all.

"Sorry, princess," I mocked. "I didn't realize you were so sensitive."

"Not my fault you're so aggressive," he whined.

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help but chuckle slightly at his childishness. "Don't try and beat the beast," I smirked, knowing full well that Owen could probably floor me in under five seconds.

"I'll keep that in mind," he winked, causing my stomach to do a small flip. I thought that only happened in books?

Before I could respond in any way, Owen's arm suddenly slipped around my shoulders, pulling me towards him.

My heart rate increased even more and I felt my eyes widen at the contact. I tried not to show just how much our bare skin touching affected me, but internally I could feel happiness spread through every particle of my body.

Why was I enjoying his touch so much?

I found myself subconsciously leaning into his touch, but I couldn't help it. Something about this soft side of Owen made me feel comfortable and relaxed.

Owen seemed to notice this because he gently pulled me even closer, causing our hips to touch slightly. My breathing hitched and I felt a wave of nerves that had nothing to do with me being uncomfortable wash over me. Damn. What was this boy doing to me?

I'd never reacted this way to someone's skin skimming mine before.

"Where are you headed?" Owen asked after a moment of silence. In that time, I attempted to slow my racing heart.

"The park," I replied while trying to keep my voice as steady as possible. Why was I behaving so weirdly?

"I'll join you then," Owen grinned in response.

Come on Lila. Keep it together. Act normal and try to make a sassy comment as though none of what he's doing and saying is affecting you.

"And why are you assuming I want you to join me?" I asked in an obvious joking tone.

"Because you enjoy my presence," Owen retorted. To be honest, I couldn't deny that statement.

"Do I?"

"Yes."

Before I could respond, Owen had leaned over and placed a small, quick kiss on my cheek.

Holy shit.

My cheek tingled slightly from where his soft lips pressed against my skin, but I resisted the urge to reach up and touch it. I didn't want to look weird in front of him.

Butterflies exploded in my stomach and instantly my cheeks reddened.

Did that really just happen?

Owen seemed to be thinking the same as me, because when I glanced over at him, I saw that his eyes were wide and he was running the hand not draped around my shoulder through his dark hair.

"Um. I- I'm sorry," he stuttered. It was actually kind of cute.

"I kind of enjoyed it," I muttered sheepishly, looking down at my feet as I said it. It was quite embarrassing for me.

"Really?" Owen asked with hesitation evident in his voice. I glanced up at him and gave him a small nod, causing a grin to cross his face.

The movement brought back slight memories of those men- the one's who had assaulted me.

The only difference was I actually felt safe this time.

Unsure of how to respond, I let a smile flicker across my face, remaining silent as I attempted to process what had just happened.

"I have a something to tell you," he said, breaking the quietness between us.

"Ok," I trailed off, probably sounding confused. What did he want to say to me?

He took in a deep breath and I could practically feel the nerves radiating off him. But Owen Hale was never nervous.

"I like you," he breathed out, causing me to freeze.

Did Owen just say... he liked me?

I wasn't sure of my feelings towards him. I had to admit, during our first encounter I found him a disgusting dick, but as I got to know him I began to see his soft side. And I had to say that I was kind of attracted to him.

I knew I had began to form a small crush on Owen, and I wouldn't mind trying to have a relationship with him. He knew, it might lead somewhere.

"And I wanted to know if you want to go on a date at 5 on Friday," he finished. It was kind of cute how nervous he seemed.

"Sure," I responded casually, although internally I was practically screaming.

I was going to go on a date with Owen Hale. I felt excited but nervous. He knew what might happen.

But then a thought struck me.

Oh shit.

My brothers.