Volume 2 {Special Chapter 1: Redemption}

The afternoon in Vale was just as busy as anyone would expect, with how many people are coming for their daily surplus of food and clothes. And right now, their priority is food.

The bell rang again inside a medium-small bakery, with bread you can smell for miles and coffee as rich as its tastes. There were not that many people here as one would expect but it still kept on gaining more customers as time went by.

The classic combo of bread and coffee instantly made everyone a fan of this bakery and the owner/founder of this establishment couldn't be happier about it.

Ms. Belle was a 60-year-old Deer Faunus whos passion is to fill the stomachs of her many customers, whom she all considered her children. Her will to bake and brew inspired many to find their meaning in life and to savor the life you have. It was her that made all these pastries that many have eaten as well as the coffee many loved.

All in all, she's your everyday granny who only wants to give you love and affection.

And right now, one of her children is helping her in the kitchen.

"Y/N, another croissant for table 4!"

"I got it!"

The patrons in this bakery all looked at Ms. Belle's assistant as he dashed through the many orders and fulfilled them expertly. The young man was likely in his teen years with how young he is, and a Huntsman-In-Training as well. He weaved through the many tables and chairs to give the customer's orders to Ms. Belle and took out bread and coffee to those who want it.

All in all, it looks like the teen is in love with his job.

"Youngsters these days can be reliable for us, huh?" A group of old men was at a table nearby as they watched the young man work to the bone.

"Yeah, if only my grandson and daughter would show the same vigor as he has."

"There's nothing we can do about it. They all have the same dream of becoming a Huntsman and Huntresses and to be a hero. So to ask them for help is not up to us."

"Your right... I still worry about them. Who knows if they will perish on one of their missions? Beacon will only offer money and condolences but they can't bring them back from the dead."

"...I still miss her."

The mood they brought upon themselves darkened considerably as the topic was somber and heavy.

The deaths of young Hunters and Huntresses weren't that uncommon when the school allows them to shadow a professional in the field. The death ratio to these missions depends on what kind; whether it be a subjugation of Grimm, helping the local village, suppress a horde of them, etc. These kinds of missions gradually get harder with each year and the risk of them dying in the hands of Grimm increases.

If one were to simplify;

1st-Year: 8:2

2nd-Year: 8:3

3rd-Year: 7:5

4th-Year: 6:8

And for better or worse, it would seem that 1st Years had the most deaths than the others since so many want to prove their worth and rush in without any plans none whatsoever.

It was in these moments the lead to the conclusion, that this war with the Grimm will only worsen the population.

One of them sighed as he looked at the employee effortlessly lift the tray filled with dirty dishes that needed to be clean and walked to the sink. His smiles were ever-present on his face and he honestly looked like he enjoyed it. "If only these generations of kids could follow his example. You don't need to fight to earn an honest pay worth."