Loss of consciousness

Hurriedly throwing off her dirty gloves, Ava quickly put on clean ones as well, and the next second began examining the newly arrived patient. Today was the day when there was not a moment to rest. Her little plan to "drink coffee", which she was going to implement when she arrived at the hospital, was immediately destroyed by a flood of people with urgent complaints, injuries. The hope that Ava would be able to take a short break in a few hours was lost.

As she moved from one examination room to another, Ava felt an unpleasant throb in her temples. She was tired and hadn't eaten yet. Besides, it was already past noon. Remembering how she'd assured Connor that she would have coffee before her shift, Ava wished she'd done it at home. But Connor was offering, still practicing his skills on a coffee machine that he hadn't been friends with before.

Closing her eyes tightly, Ava concentrated as hard as she could on the girl with the open broken arm, giving first aid, then sending her to the operating room. 

"Ava, is everything all right?" Natalie asked anxiously, not for the first time seeing her grimace.

"Of course" Ava said, smiling serenely, knowing how to reassure others, even if her words were completely false, as they were now.

Meeting the next patient on a gurney in the corridor, Ava followed, checking their vitals as they went, listening to the monotonous speech of the paramedics as they relayed brief, well-known information about the victim.

"He needs an urgent creatinine test" Ava said, pulling off her gloves and tossing them into the bucket. The headache was still there, causing her considerable discomfort.

Leaving the room, Ava walked slowly to the nurse's desk.

"We're finally out of patients" Natalie said as she approached Ava. "Shall we go to the cafeteria?"

Nat's words seemed so far away, and Ava looked at Her with great effort, still seeing the woman's mouth open, but not hearing the voice. The sudden silence, combined with a sharp vertigo, finally pushed Ava into the abyss. On the edge of consciousness, Ava tried to grab the bar,but her hands slipped. All surrounding objects flipped over as Ava fell to the floor. 

When Ava opened her eyes, she turned her head in slow motion to the right and then to the opposite side, sleepily making sure that she was lying in the room as a patient. Feeling a little uncomfortable in her hand, Ava saw the dropper. With a heavy sigh, she went limp again, not going to try to get out of bed as she'd wanted to in the first few seconds of waking.

"Natalie, what the hell happened?" In the corridor he heard a too familiar voice, which at the same time through the excitement and frustrations.

As he ran into the room, Connor immediately relented, looking at the pale woman with concern.

"Avey" he breathed as he moved to the side of the bed, leaning down to kiss her gently on the forehead. "What's wrong?" 

Without waiting for an answer, Connor professionally checked the readings on the monitor, seeing an excessively low blood pressure. When he reached the tablet containing Ava's newly arrived tests, he read them through, frowning.

"When did you eat?" Already knowing the answer, still asked Connor, slightly clenched palm Ava.

"Would you believe it if I told you today?" Easily smiled to Ava, immediately pursing his lips under the stern expression on the face of Rhodes. "Yesterday".

"Ava Bekker, what's so careless?" Connor groaned in frustration as he put the tablet down on the nightstand, running a weary hand over his face.

"There were a lot of patients" Ava mumbled with a barely noticeable shrug.

"We only went once at different times, and you managed to faint," Connor said with a skeptical arch of an eyebrow, wishing he hadn't decided to do some business before work and leave without Ava. 

"Just a coincidence" Ava was recovering, adding her usual nonchalance to her voice.

"Ava" Connor narrowed his eyes, more pleased that ava was getting better.

"Do I have my own doctor?" Ava asked, folding her arms and tilting her head slightly, adding casually. "Or if I'm a doctor, I can handle it myself".

"I'm your doctor" Connor said, lightly stroking her slender wrist with his thumb.

"Then I'd like some hot chocolate, Dr. Rhodes" Ava said with a wide smile.

"Oh," Connor nodded condescendingly, and couldn't help but smile back as he fished a nut bar out of his pants pocket.

Looking at the chocolate bar and then at Connor, Ava pursed her lips in a resentful reminder: "I don't like nuts, Connor".

"And I can't stand crazy girls who don't think about their health or their bodies" Connor said, defiantly opening a candy bar and holding it straight to Ava's mouth, don't forgetting to throw into the piggy bank of achievements what he was able to confuse Ava Bekker.

Giving up, Ava took a bite of her snickers, making a show of grimacing as she chewed it. 

"I'll go bring a hot chocolate for you" Connor said, kissing Ava's cheek and giving her a last warm touch on the arm. "Just don't get up".

"All right, Dr. Rhodes" Ava said, unable to contain a small chuckle when Connor gave her a patient look in his usual manner. He had looked at her like that since their first meeting, reacting silently to her sharp comments.

It was only when Connor left the ward that he heard Ava's loud scream, and he was immediately back inside. There was open fright on his face. 

"What is it, Ava?" Connor asked, seeing Bekker in the same position.

"I wanted to tell you that you look great when you're worried about me" Ava winked, but her smile widened, almost laughing, when Connor shook his head.

"Ava Bekker," Connor rolled his eyes, sighing, but also smiling at the sight of a happy and healthy woman. "You are a miracle".

The miracle that Rhoads loved so much, adoring absolutely everything about this woman, and especially all the things that he had encountered in the first month of their acquaintance, just then realizing that he had fallen in love with Ava Bekker.