All right

twenty-fifth week

Only wean to the unpleasant sensations of the morning, Ava was again overwhelmed by a wave of discomfort associated with pregnancy. At first she was worried that she had caught a cold, but soon, enduring a headache and a slight nausea, the suggestion of illness faded into the background. A quick test that Natalie secretly performed revealed iron-deficiency anemia. This was acceptable for her term, though not good. 

"I will definitely visit my doctor, Nat. But let's not tell Connor about it" Ava said nervously, fiddling with the stethoscope. On top of that, she had a difficult day in the emergency room. An unpleasant feeling nagged at her, as if she had to avoid something. Somewhere on the edge of her mind, she thought she had the instinct of a mother-to-be. 

"Only, if you don't solve this problem tomorrow, I will personally notify Connor about it" Natalie warned quite seriously, snapping Ava out of her thoughts, immediately heading to the newly arrived paramedic team with a tall, powerful man who was persistently tossing on a gurney, trying to fall off it.

"Complete disorientation due to blunt force trauma to the head" the paramedic quickly reported, not forgetting to mention the medications administered.

Ava exhaled noisily, shaking her head to ward off the strange sensation, joining Nat in ordering a CT scan of his brain. 

"He has an open wound on the back of his head" Ava decided, not hearing any mention of it, as she put her hands on the victim's head, trying to get a better look at the wound. As soon as she tried to take a closer look, the man abruptly sat up on the bed, roughly pushing Ava aside.

"Ava!" Natalie screamed.

Immediately pressing her hands to her belly, creating a kind of protective shell, Ava opened and closed her mouth, as if suffocating from lack of air. A disastrously loud noise in her ears and a strong dizziness knocked her out of reality, plunging her into darkness. She knew that she was being helped up, but it didn't seem to be happening to her. All voices were muffled, even Ava couldn't hear herself. The attempt to speak resulted in vomiting. She was afraid. Very terrible. Unable to find a better way to shield herself from the outside world, Ava squeezed her eyes shut.

When Ava opened her eyes again, She was in the hospital room. My head didn't hurt, and the nausea stopped. Just in case, she swallowed and sat down carefully on the bed, focusing her vision, fighting the blurry objects. Fear hit her again as Ava remembered what had happened. Pushing back the covers, she quickly pressed her hands to her belly, biting her lip. 

"Hey, it's all right, it's all right" a familiar and necessary whisper sounded right in her ear. Then strong arms wrapped around the woman's frail body. How she needed him. 

"C-Connor" Ava stammered, her fingers frantically crumpling the robe on her husband's back, breathing hard. 

"Shh, Avey, baby. Let's breathe calmly, otherwise our girl will only be more worried" Connor also quietly calmed down, feeling the weighty tremors of their child, feeling the horror himself. 

"I should have told you that I didn't feel well, that..." Ava said guiltily as Connor gently placed his hands on her face, looking deep into her eyes. Those blue eyes were so soothing to a woman.

"I know you're anemic, dear. And I know you didn't want to bother me, but you come first" Connor kissed her gently on the forehead, still looking into her eyes, seeing first surprise and then guilt.

"Connor, I'm so sorry" Ava said wearily, slumping in her husband's arms. She was so ashamed and bitter that she didn't give a damn about her condition, about their little girl, going to a patient, almost getting hurt because of it, even though an inner voice tried to stop her.

"Natalie took care of an emergency checkup, and the baby is fine" Connor said, trying to cheer Ava up by touching her hands, taking Them in his own. "How are you? What about nausea? The vomiting was caused by stress, you were scared". 

"I'm better, really" she murmured, resting her forehead on Connor's shoulder, relieved to hear the good news about their baby.

"Did your head stop spinning?" Connor continued to ask, taking a negative view of his wife's pale appearance.

"If only a little" Ava admitted hesitantly under Connor's pressure. His persistence was as strong as hers.

With a sigh, Connor carefully moved to the bed next to Ava, sitting up so that her head was on his chest, and she snuggled against him, feeling safe. After covering her with the blanket, he placed his hands on her bare belly, lifting her jacket a little in advance. Ava's belly had grown noticeably over the past five weeks. Also, the woman had become awkward herself, but Connor found it beautiful, constantly admiring her. 

It took a few minutes for Ava to fall asleep in Connor's arms. It was always easy for her to fall asleep feeling him like this.

"Avey, I love you" Connor said softly, lightly brushing his lips against her hair, smiling a little. He will be even more protective of his girls.