Trip

sixteenth week

Deciding to take a short trip for a couple of days, the Halstead's and Rhodes' arrived at a country house on the riverbank. The weather was frosty, keeping a thick layer of snow, creating a real atmosphere of a winter fairy tale. The recreation plan was very simple - they wanted to relax in the fresh air away from work. By the way, they were very good at it. 

Catching the moment when everyone was busy with their own affairs, Ava put on a long warm jacket, tied her favorite scarf, put on her boots and went outside. Smiling, feeling the snowflakes on her cheeks, she slowly walked forward, admiring the beautiful view of nature. Her leg still hurt, but it didn't interfere with her walking.

Ava paused beside the river and watched its rapid flow with fascination. Putting her hand on her belly only made her feel more calm. The baby was growing, and it was already noticeable, even though ava managed to put on loose clothes, confusing everyone.

"Honey, why did you leave without me?" draping a wool blanket over her shoulders, Connor wrapped his arms around her from behind, pressing his hands lovingly against their future baby.

"You were watching a football game with Will, and I decided to take a little walk in the fresh air" Ava said, resting her head on Connor's chest and closing her eyes in peace. 

"My girl, you're beautiful" Connor smiled, repeating the words day after day, and always making Ava happy with them, just like the first time.

After standing for a while in complete silence on the riverbank, they returned to the house, immediately encountering an enthusiastic pair of Halstead's. 

"We found the sled" Will chuckled, noticing a small mountain not far from their place. 

"Then I'll warm up by the fire, and you guys will have a good time" Ava smiled, pushing Connor toward the door, not even thinking about ruining his fun with his friends because she couldn't do it herself.

After saying goodbye to Ava and the baby, running a gentle hand over her belly, Connor took the sled and left with the others. Ava stood at the window until the familiar figures were out of sight. 

Ava picked up a piece of Apple pie from the kitchen and moved to the sofa by the fireplace, covering her feet with a warm blanket. It was very cozy. The light crackle of wood and the mesmerizing sight of the fire itself relaxed her. Although Ava wanted to be with her friends, with Connor, the baby needed more safety. When she heard someone open the front door, she turned her head in surprise to meet Connor's broad grin. 

"Did you forget something?" Ava was taken aback when Connor came up to her, crouching down to kiss her.

 "I forgot my lovely girl" Connor said quite seriously, his cold hands brushing her reddened cheeks.

"Connor, you mustn't deny yourself the fun if I can't" she murmured, biting her lip as she covered her frozen husband with the other part of the blanket, wrapping herself in his arms, giving him her warmth.

"I think we can have a lot of fun here" Connor chuckled as he turned on the TV and pulled Ava into his lap, seeing her confusion. "Pie and some random movie, isn't it a good vacation?" 

Ava could make a lot of arguments that they could watch the movie at home, but they didn't need to. After all, she wanted Connor to stay with her, and he must have sensed it.

"How about snowballs?" he winked at Ava, when Connor finished her piece of cake.

"How about snowballs?" she winked at Connor, when he finished his piece of cake. 

"Ava, really?" Connor laughed as he watched her gather quickly. "Hey, come to me". 

Standing next to her, Connor adjusted the scarf around her neck, leaving a light kiss on her lips: "Just like this".

Ava took his husband's hand and pulled him outside. The temperature dropped noticeably with the arrival of evening, but this did not prevent the first snowball that was thrown at Connor from flying. 

"Dr. Rhodes, you're not playing by the rules, without any warning" Connor protested feigningly, throwing back a snowball, but doing it carefully enough, completely missing.

"And you, Dr. Rhodes, give in to me, 2:0" Ava chuckled, as if she wasn't going to lose, catching up with Connor in a series of snowballs.

"Do you count snowballs? Ava, you're incorrigible, the competitive spirit never goes away, right?" trying to avoid the snowballs flying at him, Connor laughed, seeing the same impenetrable look from his wife that he had seen every day since their first meeting. 

"I can't deny myself that" Ava grinned, not noticing how Connor had closed the distance between them as she was busy making and throwing snowballs at him. He caught her in a ring of hands, touching their foreheads, chuckling softly, catching her ragged breath.

"Giving up?" she asked, smiling slyly as she looked into his eyes.

"No" having said this, Connor threw her into a snowdrift, looming over her, not holding back the laughter, seeing the clear indignation on the face of his beloved. 

"Connor!" she muttered, nudging him lightly on the shoulder, grateful for the wide scarf that kept the snow from falling on her neck. 

Connor shrugged slightly guiltily as he helped her to her feet: "I thought it would be better than snowballs".

"You lost" she tripped him, Ava watched her husband fall into a snowdrift, adding a snowball to her victory.

"Ava, this isn't fair" Connor protested, but he still laughed along with her, no doubt grabbing her hand when she held it out to him. They snuggled together again and began to kiss, forgetting that they were standing in the cold, just enjoying this moment. Connor didn't miss a moment to put his hand on Ava's belly, touching Her lips even more gently, with all his love. 

"Connor" was all Ava whispered, taking a breath to feel his lips on hers again, closing her eyes, holding on her feet only because Connor was holding her tight.

"You're my most beautiful girl, I love you" Connor whispered, and then he lowered his gaze to her belly, caressing her, " and I love you, our little happiness".

On the way home, Natalie handed Ava her phone, which had a dozen photos taken that night of the snowball fight. Ava and Connor in these photos were the happiest family in the world, snuggling up to each other and looking so lovingly into their eyes. Are Halstead's could pass, not preserving the memory of these moments? And the next day, all these photos were carefully printed and framed, and some were put in their album. Ava couldn't resist turning on the star projector, sitting comfortably in a chair by the fireplace, and looking at old photos of them that had just started dating. And when Connor came to her from the bathroom, he also sat down next to her, smiling at the happy face of his dear wife, and he didn't need anything else.