On the verge [Part 1]

Sitting in the cafeteria, Ava leafed through a medical magazine out of boredom, oblivious to the fact that it had been published the previous year. Connor had promised to come for a quick coffee break, but he still wasn't there. Ava continued to wait, considering that she was still free. Sending a reminder of their little meeting, she sipped her hot drink, still putting aside the meticulously scientific press.

Just as Ava was about to get up, Connor came in. He looked worried and tense, as if something had happened.

"I'm sorry, Avey, I didn't keep track of the time" Rhodes said guiltily, sitting down across from her, forcing a smile as he turned the paper cup over in his hands.

"Connor, what's wrong?" Ava couldn't be fooled. She knew Connor too well to be easily taken in by the mundane "It's okay", and to prevent such a phrase, she beat him to it.

"The patient I was treating with Price died last night. And the thing is, this shouldn't have happened" Connor breathed heavily, squeezing the bridge of his nose as he pulled a rolled up medical report from the pathologist out of the pocket of his white lab coat.

After reading the result carefully, Ava frowned visibly, looking up from the paper several times to meet Connor's gaze without further. The man just nodded.

"It's obvious suffocation, there was a drug in his blood that is contraindicated for asthma" Connor said, taking the piece of paper from Ava's hand, not daring to voice his speculation about how Price could have allowed this to happen.

"He killed him" Ava said, startled, then stopped, thinking it inappropriate to draw unnecessary attention in a public place when the matter was really serious.

"I know, but he made it look like a complication from heart surgery because Jared had a low chance of survival" Rhodes explained "So I asked for a detailed analysis. The last time, a couple of months ago, a patient died at Price's, and I also doubted the true cause of her death, but because I had nothing to do with the woman, I couldn't find any evidence.

Putting her hand on top of Connor's, Ava gave him a look that said she would support him if he decided to go all the way and give the information he had to Goodwin.

"You can count on me, Connor" Ava assured him softly, smiling softly.

"You know I love you, my girl" Connor smiled back, kissing her hand.

When Connor hurried to Ava's side, it was her support that he needed, her words that he heard. She gave him confidence, and that was important. Connor kissed her on the cheek and walked over to Goodwin without hesitation, the piece of evidence in his pocket showing price's involvement in Jared's death. Smiling affectionately, Ava watched him go, leaving for her shift a few minutes later.

As Ava waited for the results on the incoming patient, She recalled how many times she had encountered Price's harsh comments about her treatment methods. Now he seemed like a real jerk, but to think that this man made deadly mistakes and continued to treat people - Ava was difficult. If Connor hadn't dared to dig deeper with Jared, there would have been no telling how many more victims the unprofessional doctor would have killed.

With a shake of her head, Ava pored over the incoming tests, only slightly concerned for Connor. She wanted to be close to him, but she knew that he would do just fine on his own.

When Ava found some free time, She wanted to check on Connor, but she definitely didn't arrive at the right time to find him with Price. They spoke in raised tones, standing opposite each other.

"Decided to destroy my career behind my back?" Price hissed angrily, clenching his fists.

"Can you hear yourself? You talk about a career when a patient is dead because of you" Rhodes shook his head, not even imagining what a scoundrel Price was, having worked with him for almost a year, often meeting at mass accidents.

"Is something wrong? The police will be here soon" said Latham, who had just come out of the operating room "And I don't think you need to talk to Dr. Price alone, Dr. Rhodes".

"Of course" Connor agreed grimly, looking at price with disdain, then noticing Ava standing off to the side. "Ava?"

The urge to punch the killer evaporated when he saw his wife's slight smile, immediately walking up to her, putting his arm around her waist.

"Are you all right? What is it?" she asked worriedly, running a gentle hand over Connor's shoulder.

"I'll be alright back when the bastard gets taken to the police station" Rhodes breathed, leaving a light kiss on Ava's hair as They walked down the hall. How he wished that the day would end soon, everything was too heavy.

As soon as they were near the elevator, everything happened very quickly. Ava screamed as Price yanked her back, holding the scalpel to her throat, and took a few steps away from Connor.

"What are you doing?" Rhodes yelled, despite the urge to rush to help, frozen in place, arms outstretched, afraid to make an unnecessary movement that would entail consequences.

"You ruined my life, and I'm going to ruin yours, because she's your life," Price said madly, touching the scalpel to ava's neck, causing drops of blood to form on her skin.

Ava stared at Connor, panting, feeling the cold blade. Fear enveloped her entire body, paralyzing her. And worst of all, she saw Connor's pale face.

"Don't, Price, don't drag her into this" he pleaded, his voice trembling, ready for anything.

"It's too late, Rhodes, too late" Price laughed out loud, grabbing Ava's hair harder to pull her head up, exposing her neck, intending to stick the scalpel deeper into her throat.

"Connor" Ava mouthed, closing her eyes. 

to be continued...