Sleepless night

thirty-first week

"What is it, dear?" Connor was sensitive and always tried to fall asleep after Ava. And now he could hear her constantly shifting on the bed, shifting her position, turning from one side to the other, of course, trying to do it as quietly as possible. Only such a conspiracy was obviously a failure.

Turning on the barely visible night light above the bed, Connor turned to face Ava, looking into her tired, sleepy eyes.

"Does it hurt?" he tensed in alarm, but Ava shook her head, forcing a small smile.

"The baby doesn't want to sleep" was all she said, yawning openly.

"Oh, honey" Connor breathed in relief, having already thought up some terrible things. Moving closer to Ava, he put his hand on her belly, feeling the constant movement inside and the infrequent thrusts. It was clear that she wouldn't be able to sleep any time soon.   

"What about fruit tea with cinnamon pretzels?" Connor smiled softly, gently stroking her restless belly. 

"Seems like the best solution" Ava chuckled, giving Connor a grateful peck on the lips as she clumsily got off the bed. She hadn't realized how difficult it would be to move around with her size, so she'd been clumsy for the past week. 

"You and the baby look great" Connor concluded with a big smile as he led the way into the kitchen, feeling his wife's burning gaze on the back of his head. After all, the compliment was thrown when Ava swayed out of bed.

Looking at herself in the mirror, Ava was once again pleasantly surprised at how big her belly had become. Unconsciously, she put her hands on it and broke into a smile. And a sleepless night did not affect her boundless happiness in any way.

"Ava!" when she heard Connor's voice, she realized that she had been standing in front of the mirror for a couple of minutes. Embarrassed, Ava threw on a terry-cloth robe and finally went down to the kitchen. 

With a look of love in his eyes, Connor wanted to hug ava and then touch their baby. He was already thinking about how hard it would be to be separated from their baby girl when she was born, leaving for work.

"How are you feeling?" Connor sat down on the sofa and handed Ava a mug of fragrant fruit tea, looking at her intently. He could see that she was pale, and she definitely needed sleep and more rest. Only tomorrow was a working day, just like today.

"Like a pregnant woman" Ava laughed, giving Connor a satisfied look in her usual way, trying to calm him down, but it wasn't enough. "Connor, really, Dr. Adkins said that everything is normal, you saw today's pictures of our girl and the rest of the research results. I am completely healthy, as is our child."

"But that doesn't change the fact that you don't get much sleep" Connor said reluctantly, knowing there was nothing he could do about it anyway. 

"Tomorrow's shift isn't in the emergency room, which means I can find time to rest, I promise" Ava tried to convince Connor, putting her hand on his knee. Her words always had a convincing effect on a man, even when she tried to deceive him, so as not to worry him once again. Connor always believed her.

"I'll try to get all your potential patients" Connor warned, having done so last week when Ava's blood pressure plummeted and she passed out at the buffet table.

"Honestly, I'm ready to give them to you myself, just to catch a little quiet sleep" Ava snorted, not even arguing with him, so tired, finishing the delicious tea.

When the hot drink was finished, Ava leaned on Connor's shoulder, yawning again. He caught her, holding her close, kissing her hair.

"Oh" Ava breathed suddenly, pulling away from her husband a little, blushing visibly.                        

"What happened?!" Connor asked, trying to read the look in her eyes. She just shook her head, slowly getting up from the sofa, holding her belly with one hand.

"Ava?" he said questioningly, not understanding her behavior.

"I'll go to bed, maybe I can sleep" Ava mumbled, shrugging as she slowly climbed the stairs to their bedroom. 

Backing her up, following her, Connor was going to find out the truth anyway. He was worried without even knowing why.

Crawling under the covers, Ava glanced sideways at Connor, also knowing his insistence: "You hugged me tight"

Connor arched an eyebrow, waiting for her to continue, because holding her tight was commonplace. 

"Damn, Connor" Ava moaned, rolling her eyes, grabbing a pillow to press it to her face.

"What is it, Avey?"sitting on the edge of the bed, he gently took her wrist, pulling her hand away, tossing the protective pillow aside. Those piercing blue eyes always paralyzed Ava, mesmerizing her.

"Connor, just sensitive breasts, that's all, nothing supernatural" Ava said quickly, making it as casual as possible, as if she hadn't blushed at all before.

"Oh" Connor said after a few seconds, not even sure what to say.

"Just a pregnancy" she added, looking away, missing the moment when she found herself in Connor's gentle embrace.

"I'll be careful" Connor whispered, kissing her neck, laying down so that it was comfortable to hold her from behind, his hand on her belly. "Baby doesn't kick"

"She seems to like fruit tea" Ava chuckled, relaxing so close to Connor.

"I think she wants mommy to sleep too" Connor smiled, yawning too.

They were so tired that they didn't have the strength to say good night to each other, falling asleep immediately.