The inalienable controversy

Ava didn't notice how sensitive she'd become to the heated arguments with Connor. If earlier she was more often the initiator of attacks on him, now something has changed in her. Ava was offended when Connor cut her off in mid-sentence during the operation, although she only offered her own version, which she thought was more successful for the patient. 

Most importantly, such skirmishes were never related to their personal lives, because they remained at work, but this did not make it easier for Ava. She wanted to find a compromise, because they were no longer rivals.

As soon as the stitches were finished, Ava was the first out of the operating room, shedding her dirty scrubs. Grabbing her jacket, she also quickly left the Department, taking advantage of the absence of patients. Night shifts were often easier than day shifts, although there were some urgent operations that lasted until the morning.

Out on the open roof area, Ava sat down dejectedly on a bench near the railing, looking out at the night city with some sadness. Before her relationship with Connor, she often wanted to go back to Capetown. This desire always appeared at night, when she locked herself in the apartment all alone, with a sinking heart looking out the panoramic window. To avoid this kind of morale, Ava took as many shifts as possible, forgetting herself at work. And then Connor had become her man without a second thought, taking her home with him, ending sadness for her past life.

Yes, she was definitely happy.

After spending some time in the cool street, Ava got to her feet serenely, but decided to take a closer look at the bright buildings of Chicago, leaning on the railing. The moment when Connor had snapped that he would deal with the patient himself, since he was in charge and she was only assisting, had begun to fade. After all, what they had was originally built on such phrases. It couldn't have been any other way between perfect surgeons. The resentment evaporated as quickly as it had appeared.

Ava glanced at the phone screen and decided to go back. Turning from the railing, she froze in surprise when she saw Connor standing next to her.

"Connor?" Ava called out with a smile, noticing two paper cups in his hands.

"I thought you might need coffee" Connor said uncertainly, handing the drink to Bekker.

"I really need it" Ava smiled, cupping the Cup in both hands, taking its warmth, taking a small sip. "Thanks, Connor".

"Avey" Connor said noisily, setting his coffee down on the bench and running a nervous hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have shut you up. Your opinion is no lower than mine. I don't know what came over me".

"Oh, Connor" Ava said softly, setting down her own coffee so that she could go straight to Connor and hug him, burying her face in his chest in peace. "I'm not offended".

Catching the man's incredulous gaze, Ava laughed awkwardly, hiding her face again.

"Was it so noticeable?" Ava asked uncomfortably, remembering how she had been silent for the rest of the operation, not making the usual sarcastic remarks or sharing the latest hospital gossip, having long ago made it clear to Connor how much she adored them when he brought girls over for a one-night stand, completely forgetting their names.

"I don't remember when you were silent at all during the entire operation," Connor said thoughtfully, stifling a chuckle as he wrapped his arm around Ava's waist. "And I was madly worried that I had offended you".

"Maybe I was offended at first" Ava managed to agree, still holding Connor in her arms. "But then I thought it was all right. After all, tomorrow I will be in charge of the operation, and you will be my assistant, and then I will be the boss". 

"Ava, you're incorrigible" Connor laughed, leaving a light kiss on her hair.

"Dr. Rhodes, I'm only being fair" Ava said, casually slapping Connor on the hip as she picked up the coffee she'd left.

"Of course" Connor grinned, taking his own drink, finally feeling reassured that everything was all right with Ava, sipping the sweet drink, because he'd spent the entire operation berating himself for being so abrupt, wanting to explain things to Avey as quickly as possible.

Grabbing Connor's arm, Ava clung to him as she strode confidently inside the hospital. Connor just smiled, looking forward to the end of his shift so that he could be home with his beautiful girlfriend.

None of them doubted that they would have time to squabble about the eternal topic of how best to treat patients countless more times, but now no one was worried that their skirmishes would somehow affect the relationship.