Peanut butter

eighth week

"Avey, I could go grocery shopping myself" Connor reminded her, not for the first time, as Ava yawned again, twirling the box of granola in her hands. Since the seventh week, she began to get tired quickly, but, of course, do not show it at work. 

"It's good for me to go somewhere other than the hospital and home" Ava grimaced as she replaced the granola with cereal, casually tossing the package into a large cart. It was difficult to get used to the new diet, and she tried very hard, but it often made her angry. Especially because of the lack of coffee.

"We can go to the park, for example" Connor suggested, raising out his arms when he noticed Ava's displeased look. 

Connor immediately went to different departments with her and put together the necessary vegetables and other useful products: porridge, meat. When he saw Ava next to him, he came up to her, hugging her from behind, looking curiously over her shoulder.

"What did you find there?" Connor asked, obviously surprised to see the jar in her hands.

"You know, I think peanut butter would fit perfectly into my diet" Ava chuckled, touching Connor's chin with her hand, helping him close his mouth in surprise. "I'm in shock myself, you know".

They both laughed as they headed for the cash register. On the way, Ava managed to pick up a few nut bars, pretending that they accidentally fell to their other products.

Yawning, Ava started to walk to the Parking lot, but Connor picked her up and put her in the cart, taking no objections and driving her straight to the car.

"Connor, what are you doing?" Ava laughed, raising her hands in the air, saying loudly: "Oh!"

"Careful, there's going to be an abrupt stop" Connor warned, playing along as he delivered her directly to the front door of the car.

"We're crazy!" Ava couldn't stop laughing as she reached for Connor, that using him to help her out of the cart, and immediately felt a light kiss on her lips.

"We're happy, Avey" Connor corrected, looking her in the eye and then opening the car, first getting her inside before putting the bags in the trunk. 

It took them half an hour to get home, but even so, Ava managed to fall asleep, curled up on the seat, knees drawn up to her chest, looking like an angel. Connor knew that this sleepiness was related to pregnancy, and that it was normal, but he was still a little worried. He would have liked to leave her at home, but no. This incredible woman will definitely give birth while operating on a patient.

Chuckling to himself, Connor carefully picked up the sleeping beauty and carried her into the house, carefully laying her on the sofa and covering her with a blanket. She only frowned slightly, but didn't wake up. Smiling, Connor quickly returned for the groceries, which he took directly to the kitchen. He decided to change his clothes later, just to put the vegetables and meat on the stew as quickly as possible, so that Ava would be full.

Carefully stirring the healthy mixture in the pot, Connor shivered as he felt the cool palms of his hands on his stomach. Ava snuggled up to him, burying her face in his back.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Ava grumbled sleepily as she kissed his neck. 

"You've been yawning all day" Connor reminded her, turning to her and wrapping her in his arms. 

"I'm trying, but I feel so strange..." Ava tried to justify herself, but Connor interrupted her insistently, pressing his lips to hers, smiling through the kiss.

"You feel like a pregnant woman should, Avey" Connor smiled, smoothing her disheveled hair. 

"I haven't fully realized it yet. I mean, I realise it when I'm vomit or sleepy, but still" Ava admitted, resting her head on Connor's chest, closing her eyes, surprised at how quickly she felt sleepy again.  

"Of course, you keep taking patients away from me, getting ahead of me, taking on more work" Connor chuckled, running a gentle hand down her back.

"It's so you don't relax" Ava giggled, wincing faintly. "Damn, Connor, you smell awful. These vegetables are soaking into you".

"Well, it's started" Connor sighed heavily as he surrendered and went back to the kitchen stove, but he wasn't offended. He was used to it, considering how Ava ran to the bathroom every morning, smelling the strange smells that she said were in the air all over the house.

"Awfully" Ava pressed her hand to her mouth and swallowed hard, not wanting to empty her stomach again. Connor thoughtfully handed her a glass of water, which helped her avoid unwanted vomiting.

"Honey, at least eat some meat if the vegetables make you feel bad" Connor scowled, setting a large plate of food on the table.

Guilt that Connor had tried so hard for her overcame her physical rejection. Reluctantly, but confidently, she picked up a circle of carrots with her fork. Looking at this small piece of healthy food, Ava pursed her lips and then beamed. 

"Connor! Peanut butter!" Ava exclaimed, almost falling off the chair, jumping off so quickly, taking out a glass jar.

"But... Peanut butter with Turkey and vegetables? Connor blinked, having always preferred not to put such things together. He seemed to want to go to the toilet now.

Ava smeared a few spoonfuls of pasta over the meat, then left some as a sauce for the tasteless vegetables, not forgetting to sprinkle a little sugar on top. Smiling contentedly, with one knee drawn up to her chest, she began to eat what was on the plate with great gusto. After adding the magic ingredient a couple of times, she ate every last crumb, only to be embarrassed when she noticed Connor staring at her without touching his portion.

"Connor, I..." Ava began awkwardly, not even thinking to look at him during the meal to make sure they were having dinner together. She was ashamed.

"Avey, you're doing great" Connor said suddenly, surprising the woman by walking up to her and kissing the top of her head. "Now I know how to make you eat healthy food".

"Oh, that's it" Ava said, laughing uncertainly. She had just eaten a whole plate of food, even though she always didn't finish it. 

"How ironic, though, huh? You used to hate peanuts..." Connor teased, returning to his seat.

"Don't start" Ava warned, rolling her eyes and smiling. "I'm going to the bedroom".

When she got to her feet, Ava blinked, closing her eyes for a few seconds, and immediately found herself in Connor's strong arms.

"Ava!"

"I'm fine, I'm just dizzy" Ava stammered, still seeing the blurry circles in front of her eyes. 

"Well, of course" Connor breathed irritably, pulling her to the bed and only calming down when she was in a horizontal position. It was only then that he was able to finish his meal, quickly cleaning up, finally changing his clothes and taking a quick shower. It was almost eleven o'clock in the night and tomorrow was the morning shift. Yawning, Connor went up to the bedroom, pausing quietly at the entrance as he saw Ava's hands gently rest on her still-flat belly. A smile immediately blossomed on his face. 

"Connor?" Ava called, pulling her hands away, pretending to adjust the blanket.

Climbing into bed with her, he pulled her back to his chest, his hands already on her belly, lifting her pajama top slightly.

"Your hands are warm" Ava said at random, looking away, drowning in the sensation.

"Avey, I love you, both of you" Connor whispered, kissing her behind the ear, not taking his hands away, tactile transmitting all his love to the future baby. 

"And we love you" Ava smiled softly, closing her eyes, immediately falling asleep in the arms of her beloved husband.