Wedding

Standing in front of a large mirror in a completely empty room, Ava looked at herself excitedly. Carefully, too carefully, she touched the full hem of her white dress with her fingers, lifting it a little. The shiny shoes with their thousands of tiny sequins stood out vividly.

Smiling in spite of herself, Ava spun around, expertly handling the rather heavy wedding dress. Wedding. She couldn't believe that in a few hours she would be married to the man she loved, to the Connor Rhodes. What was happening was like a happy dream that could be reincarnated into life.

Stopping in her tracks, Ava looked in the mirror again, her hands shaking as she straightened her coiffed hair, more out of sheer excitement than anything else.

A few seconds later, Ava couldn't hold back the tears, rubbing them over her slightly reddened cheeks, forgetting about the makeup she'd put on.

"Avey" Connor said, sounding alarmed. He just wanted to sneak a peek at her, but he caught her at the wrong time.

"Connor, you can't s- see the bride before the wedding" Ava stammered, biting her lip, quickly wiping away the tears, making her face worse by smearing mascara on it.

"I'm glad I saw you" Connor said softly, sighing as he walked over to the woman he loved. "What happened? Honey, what are these tears?"

Pulling a handkerchief out of his jacket, Connor carefully wiped Ava's wet cheeks, looking at her lovingly.

"I guess it's just the excitement" Ava whispered uncertainly, looking at Connor in fascination, not doubting why she was so completely in love with him, forever.

"Excitement that you're going to be my wife soon, eh, Bekker?" He chuckled kindly as he pressed his lips gently to hers, soothing her with such a small action.

"Yeah" Ava nodded, closing the already small distance between them so that she could hug him tightly, so that she could feel the warmth she loved. "I still can't believe I'm going to be your wife, Rhodes. Especially when I remember what "love" we had in the beginning".

"You were a pain in the ass" Connor laughed, scooping her up in his arms.

"Connor!" Ava gasped, grabbing his shoulders and laughing with him. She finally felt the full joy of the upcoming stage in her life, and all thanks to Connor.

"You're not crying anymore" the man remarked as he carefully lowered Ava to her feet, kissing her again, not wanting to leave her until the wedding ceremony.

"I need to wash up" Ava said, looking at her swollen face in the mirror. 

"Avey, you're so beautiful" Connor whispered, standing behind her, also looking in the mirror. "My most beautiful woman who makes me happy day in and day out".

"Save your speech for the altar" Ava winked playfully, giving him a quick peck on the lips.

"You don't change" Connor laughed, knowing his little girl well how sharp tongued she could be.

***

Standing opposite each other, they finally realized how real it was. The dreams of both came true. 

As they exchanged rings, Connor rested his hand on Ava's for a few seconds, looking into her eyes. She miraculously managed not to burst into tears of happiness, only smiling broadly, and then dissolving into a kiss from her husband.

The ceremony flowed smoothly into long greetings from the guests, and then the festive banquet itself. Seizing a moment to spare, Ava grabbed Connor's arm, pulling him aside.

"I really want to be alone with you" she complained, still smiling, holding Connor's hand, feeling the pleasant chill of his wedding ring.

"My girl" Connor said softly, pulling her into his arms.

"Connor" Ava called softly, resting her head on his shoulder and closing her eyes in peace.

"Mmm?" he ran his hand lightly down her back.

"Thank you" Ava said even more softly, exhaling noisily. "I love you very much, Connor".

"Oh, Avey, and I love you so much" Connor said, kissing her hair, not letting go. "Thank you for being with me".

They stood on the ocean's edge, watching the sunset in fascination. It was really the best day of their lives that they will always remember. Ava had never been so happy as she was today. Connor kept his promise to have a warm wedding in Cape town, bringing all their friends here. He was incredible, and that's why Ava loved him.