On the verge [Part 2]

A loud shot deafened Ava. She jerked as she felt the attacker's hands fall from her body. After only a few seconds on her feet, Ava found herself in Connor's strong arms, unable to hear his rapid speech, closing her eyes.

Carefully picking up his wife in his arms, Connor ran into the first operating room that came his way. He also laid her carefully on the operating table and examined her neck, breathing out a sigh of relief when he noted that no stitches were needed. The cut was weak, so Connor treated it and covered it with a small square band-aid.

"Is everything all right?" Latham asked as he burst into the operation room.

"Yes" Rhodes said hoarsely, picking Ava up again, exchanging a glance with Dr. Leith without further before leaving for the free ward. 

Connor couldn't stop seeing the moment that bastard grabbed his little girl and tried to kill her. And he could have done it. With a heavy sigh, leaving Ava in Natalie's care, Connor stepped out into the hallway, pressing a hand to his face and leaning against the wall. Ava shouldn't have been harmed by his actions. Until that day, Rhodes didn't think she could be used as a weak spot. 

"You did the right thing" said Jay's confident voice. The detective could read the emotion on Connor's face. He blamed himself for what had happened. Ava may not have been physically hurt, but she was definitely hurt emotionally. Her scared face and stood in front of the eyes of Rhodes.

"I don't think so, Halstead" Connor said, looking at him as if he didn't want to listen to reassuring support.

"You shouldn't drown in imposed guilt in such matters, do you hear?" Jay frowned slightly, putting a hand on Rhodes' shoulder.

After a silence in response, Halstead nodded understandingly, unable to find any other suitable words, because Connor didn't need them.

Connor didn't notice that he had been standing in the hallway for too long, replying many times to concerned friends and colleagues that everything was fine. This phrase "all is well" was more like a learned courtesy. In any case, he was saying what the people around him would like to hear. At the same time, he scrolled through the picture of recent terrible events in my head.

When Connor decided to enter the room, he stood in the aisle, looking at Ava, who had regained consciousness and was talking to Natalie with a smile. She wasn't depressed, she was the same Avey who had supported him in the buffet that morning with the same smile, pushing him to expose Price. 

"Connor" Ava called softly, spotting him at the entrance to the room. Nat left immediately, closing the door behind her. 

"Avey, how are you?" Connor gasped, walking unsteadily to the bed. 

"I'm ready to go home and watch movies until I'm exhausted with the most beautiful man in the world" Ava smiled, not at all confused, pulling Connor's arm to sit next to her.

With a small grin at Ava's cheerful mood, Connor put his arm around her gently, resting his chin on Her shoulder, holding her tightly. Ava ran her hands down his back and touched his head in a soothing way.

"Connor, what is it?" Ava asked softly, pulling away from him to make eye contact.

"I shouldn't have messed with a crazy criminal and put you in danger" he said, Trying to get up from the bed when She caught his elbow and pulled him closer to her, into a warm embrace.

"Connor, it's not your fault" she insisted soothingly, pressing her cheek against his chest and closing her eyes. "And if you gave me a chance to go back, I would also support you. That's what loving people do, isn't it?"

In fact, Ava was scared, but the knowledge that everything was fine, negated the bad events. Only Connor didn't think the way she did. That's why Ava tried to calm him down.

 "Avey" Connor whispered, kissing her on the lips, running his fingertips lovingly down her cheek.

"By the way, I'm also your wife, who's with you to the end" Ava said with a businesslike grin, lightly pinching Connor's thigh.

"You're incredible, Avey, I won't get tired of saying it, my brave girl" Connor smiled, looking at her in fascination as she beamed with his love.

Still looking at her neck with concern, Connor lightly touched the band-aid with his lips. Ava had always been able to calm him down in the most difficult situations, even now.

"It tickles" she laughed, giving Connor a sharp peck on the nose as she hung on to him.

And Connor had long ago realized that Ava was his soulmate, feeling everything that was happening to him, choosing the right words that pulled him to the surface.

Already snuggled up on the couch, Connor looked at his beloved more often than at the TV, while she happily ate popcorn for the promised marathon of movies. Although she didn't miss the opportunity to run her hands into one big bowl of popcorn, sometimes taking it right out of Connor's fingers while laughing.