Carelessness

twenty-eighth week

"Dr. Rhodes!" Beth screamed, quickly grabbing a clean piece of gauze and holding it out to ava, helping her hold her hand.

It was the third simple operation, but Ava completely forgot to eat before it, as she always did. And in the end, she stumbled, carelessly taking the scalpel, not even looking at the sharp object, purely intuitively stretching out her hand.

Holding a sterile cloth to the deep cut, Ava took a step back, realizing that she couldn't continue the operation. In addition, the bleeding itself did not stop.

"I'll call another doctor" the medical staff said, without waiting for Ava's instructions. And she was grateful for the independence of her team. 

"You'll probably need stitches" Beth suggested, seeing the amount of blood and also passing on information about Ava without waiting.  

After leaving the operating room, Ava put her hand under the tap, breathing deeply. Beth was right, and she really needed stitches.

"Damn" she gasped as she picked up some clean paper towels and held them over the cut. They were drenched almost immediately. 

The baby was dissatisfied with her mother, showing it with obvious and persistent pushes. 

"Ava, what happened?" Connor ran into the pre-op room, his gaze immediately shifting to the wound. Knowing that brave words were about to follow, that "it's all right", he put his arm around her waist as he led her to the treatment room.

"I wasn't paying attention" Ava said guiltily, never having been in such an awkward situation. She even started to feel sick.

"You didn't eat" Connor didn't ask, but stated, giving her a hard look as he sat her down in a chair, pulling out the necessary things for stitches. He couldn't be mad at ava anyway, seeing how fragile she was.

"Just before this operation, I forgot to eat something" she stammered, reaching out and putting her hand down on the table. The nausea passed when she was in a sitting position. The amount of blood lost played a role. Right now, Ava wanted to get her hand out of the way and get something to eat so she wouldn't hurt the baby.

As if reading his wife's mind, Connor took a Snickers from his pocket, opened it, and held it out with in her health hand.

"Thank you, Connor" Ava smiled timidly as she took a bite of the filling bar, not immediately noticing how carefully Connor had treated the deep cut, and then anesthetized the entire area of her arm to begin the main job of suturing.

As he carefully and painstakingly worked on a few stitches, Ava watched him intently, even more with some appreciation.

"Connor Rhodes himself stitches me up" Ava giggled, feeling much better after a small snack, and even after such increased care on the part of her husband. "I heard from April that you had a lot of experience with neat stitches. You did it in such a way that there were no traces left".

"I have a particularly attentive approach to you" wrapping the bandage around her hand, Connor leaned down to gently kiss her wrist. It was done with such love that Ava froze in mid-breath as their eyes met.

"Now come on, I'll help you get dressed and send you home in a taxi" Connor concluded seriously, putting his arm around Ava again to lead her to the locker room. 

"I've never cut myself during an operation before" Ava grumbled as Connor buttoned her jacket. She was embarrassed that she'd interrupted his work in the emergency room, that he'd had to dump his emergency patient on Ethan. It was kind of problematic. 

"You didn't distract me, Ava" Connor shook his head, as if he knew what was going on in his beloved's head. "Indiscretions always happen for the first time, now everything is fine, right?"

"I want you to come home as soon as possible" Ava blurted out, adjusting her large scarf for the third time. Although the cold weather in Chicago has gone, but the April coolness mixed with rain has not been canceled. 

"I'll try, honey" Connor promised as he kissed her, adjusting her scarf for the fourth time while laughing at the same time.

At home, Ava tried to cook dinner, but because of the aching pain in her arm, she opted for Italian cuisine to order. Connor wasn't fussy, always welcoming food delivery, and they often used it, especially when they were on vacation.

As she set the boxes of food on the table in the living room, she heard the sound of keys in the doorway.

"Connor" gasped as he caught her in his arms, hugging her tightly, and Ava snuggled happily against him.

"I think I made good on my promise to come home early" Connor winked, giving her a light peck on the nose, always looking at her face as she winced in surprise. 

"And I'm glad" breaking into a satisfied smile, Ava nodded toward the food: "I wanted to do it myself, but my hand started to hurt".

Connor's face immediately changed, becoming serious. After quickly changing, washing his hands, and taking their family's first-aid kit, he sat down on the sofa next to Ava.

"Connor, don't worry so much" Ava said softly as the man removed the bandage to make a clean new bandage, working on fresh stitches. Ava was indeed his main patient, and he was going to be very careful with her.

"It depends on your speedy recovery when we get to work" Connor said casually, releasing her hand and catching a surprised look on his face. "Yes, I took advantage of three days off that I somehow missed".

"Connor, you..." Ava was going to tell the truth: "You're the best, thank you". 

As soon as dinner was over, the couple were left sitting in pitch darkness under Ava's favorite starry sky. It was so beautiful. Connor put his arm around Ava and put his hand on her belly, savoring these beautiful moments.