Epilogue

Dimitri

-Are you ok, leelen? I ask Amie for the fifth time since we got into the plane. 

We've left the safehouse one hour ago, after Anays burned Raze and Alma, the High witch of Santos convens and a few others who tried to step into her fire. She only exhaled relaxing into my arms, but no exastions was there, no sign that her powers might have reached their limits. Which is no surprise considering last time she burned helicopters down, but her fire was not small today either. She created a wall of fire around our group so big we only say fames around us for more than 20 minutes as she waited for the group in front of us to fall dead or on their knees. 

Once all of them made their choice she let the fire go and we could see just how scared those in front of us were. They were afraid of her... It was so unusual for me to see someone being afraid of someone else than me. But people tend to be stupid, because as Josh tried to direct us to the airplane so we could evacuate the area as fast as possible, three of the kneeled warriors tried to shoot Anays. They were so scared of her that they forgot just how lethal I could be. Their heads left their bodies in seconds and no remorse for killing my kind was inside of me. There is no such a think as 'my kind', not anymore. 

In our airplane is just me, Anays, Dara, Josh and Anca. Dara is piloting as Josh tries to comfort Anca, holding her in his arms. Chloe died, the two of them were very close, so close that Chloe shielded Anca and Josh with her own body. I am sorry about Chloe, I really am... She was a good friend and I would have loved her to help my leelen.

 Anays stays in in my arms without saying a word and I am afraid she is in shock, even if her mind seems very clear, very present and aware about what just happened. I try to reach out to her, through the bond, talking to her, touching her... Nothing worked. 

-My love, please, tell me something... Anything! I try once more.

She turns to face me and I see how sad her blue eyes are and it breaks my heart. Her pain breaks my heart. She lifts her little hand to touch my cheek and leans in until our heads touch. I breath in deep her vanilla scent, the scent of her skin that makes me go crazy with lust. She sighs.

-So many people died today, Dimitri... she says and everyone turn to face her, to listen to her.

-I know, leelen. I know, but please don't think about it now... 

She opens her eyes wide and I can see anger on her face as she says:

-Don't think? I will never allow myself to forget what happened today, Dimitri. Never! I have to always keep this in my mind so I will never let the guard down. I will never allow our people to to die like that...

Our people... It will take me some time to get used with this, with the idea that I am kind and Anays is queen. I might have known it for two days now that she was meant to be a queen, but I don't feel like I am a king. Not yet, at least.

Seeing people dying for us like that was indeed painful, it makes you feel their blood on your hands, hot and sticky. The worst? We don't even know their names, if they had families, kids waiting for them home. I don't know many things right now, but I know I would prefer to die than let other die like that.

-We will not allow something like this to happen again, Anays. We will always be prepared for the worst. Always!

I pull her closer in my arms, shielding her body with mine. I know she is strong, I know she doesn't need me to protect her anymore, but I don't care, I have this crazy need to keep her close, pretending that my big body could protect her for all evil in the world.

She pulls me away taking my face into her arms and kisses me, the softest kiss we ever shared, barely touching our lips. And then she stands up ang heads to where Josh and Anca are.