37. A Hair's Breath

There are certain mistakes we make that no matter how hard we work to forget or move past them, they always manage to find a way back.

Eva.'

Kosi repeated her name slowly. As if waking up from a slumber, he quickly got up from his seat at the dining table in a rush to meet her. Hope stood up awkwardly from her seat.

'What...? What are you doing here? Not that I'm complaining.' He quickly added when he noticed Eva's off expression. 'It's just that after everything that happened at the hospital... I wasn't sure... I didn't know if you wanted to see me.'

Eva said nothing as she walked inside the house. Kosi quietly closed the door after her.

'I wish you told me. I could have come pick you up from the hospital. You didn't need to stress yourself.'

Eva's continued silence unnerved Kosi. He quickly glanced at Hope but she looked away. Eva walked straight into the bedroom. She paused at the door for a few seconds, taking in the scattered look of the bedroom, her face hardening.

'I'm sorry. The room is a mess and I haven't cleaned up yet. If you can wait a bit I'll quickly tidy it.'

Eva quietly closed the door to their bedroom and walked into the spare bedroom. She turned the key that was sticking out of the keyhole, opened the door and walked in, closing it behind her. Kosi only allowed himself to let out the breath he was holding when he heard the familiar click of the door.

'She's pissed.'

'Thank you for stating the obvious, Hope.'

They were both silent for a bit longer.

'Hope.'

'Kosi.'

They spoke at the same time. Kosi sighed.

'Look, Hope, thank you so much for this morning.'

'You don't need to thank me.'

'You're right but I want to.'

Kosi was silent for a while. His gaze moving from Hope to Eva's locked door contemplating what to do next.

'Come with me.'

He took Hope's hand in his and led her to his bedroom before locking the door behind them.

She stared at Kosi pointedly.

'Do you understand how this looks?' She asked motioning between them and the locked door.

'I do.'

'I have to ask because from where I stand, it doesn't seem like you do.'

'We need to talk... in private.'

'In your bedroom? When your extremely pissed off wife is in the very next room? Come on Kosi.'

He sighed.

'Let's just talk. She's probably wants to rest or have her bath. I doubt she even wants to see me.' He added solemnly under his breath. 'We at least have a few minutes before she comes out.' He finished.

Hope said nothing and just looked at Kosi. She shook her head at him and let out a sigh.

'Fine. What do you want to talk about?' She asked folding her arms.

Kosi left Hope to pace about the room before coming back to face her.

'What happened between us.'

'Yes?'

'I don't want it to be a problem.'

Hope raised an eyebrow.

'Aren't you already late for that bus? It is a problem. Your wife knows.'