Awakening

"Mom, I want to see my grandparents too." I said in a last attempt of persuasion . "There's no reason why I can't go with you and visit for a few hours."

"There is every reason why you can't go." My mother said regretfully. "I need you to be safe. I promise  I will take you when the things are okay." She kissed me on the cheek and promised she would give my grandparents my regard. "I love you."

"Love you too Mom." I waved goodbye  as she rode out on Lion, sighing when I was alone on the beach.

I kicked my bare feet in the sand, bored out of my mind. It had been five days since my family arrived in Beach City, and so far it had been a drag. The Crystal Gems took their job of protecting me far too seriously. I wasn't  allowed to go into town, I had to stay at the Temple under the direct supervision of the Crystal Gems. I remember my angry protest when this rule was laid down on me.

"This isn't a vacation Nora." Dad had said . "Aragonite and Gypsum could be anywhere. You need to stay right here, where your aunts can protect you." "

" They can protect me if  I'm in town too. Garnet said I'd be safe in Beach City, now I'm here I am."

"No, there's a bigger chance they'll find you in public, and I'm not taking that risk." He clutched my hands in his palms. " I can't let anything happen to you Nora, if it means you have to stay at the Temple until we hunt those Gems down, then that's what will happen. I'm sorry it has to be this way but your life is my number one priority. I hope you understand."

"I do, but it doesn't mean I'm happy about it."

Thus, the past few days Dad, Mom, and the Gems searched far and wide for the Remnant Gems (I had no idea what the Remnant even was, only it was wherever those fiends came from). A Gem would stay behind, watching me like a three year old who would wander off at the turn of their head.

I couldn't even walk the beach on my own. I remember Aunt Pearl screaming after me when I decided to take a morning stroll on the sand, like I've always done when I come here. I only intended to walk a half mile north, and then turn back once I hit the public beach area, making it technically I was still on Crystal Temple property.

The way she scolded me you'd think I wandered from the beach house like I used to do when I was little. "Are you kidding me!?" I stomped my foot in the sand. "I can't even take a stroll on the beach? This is getting out of hand I feel like a prisoner!"

"You're not a prisoner." Aunt Pearl responded with a sympathetic tone. " I just don't want you going anywhere by yourself, not even for a walk. Whenever you want to take a walk from now on, let me or one of the others know, we'll accompany you."

Honestly, the only place I could be by myself is in the beach house.

I disappointingly walked to the edge of the water, burying my feet into the sand letting the waves lap up my ankles. It was a nice sunny day and there was a gentle breeze. Sand crabs skittered beneath the sand when I dug my toes into their burrows. Looking north I saw people crowding the public beach far down the way.

It's a good day for a swim, but I wasn't comfortable going in the water without a lifeguard or someone else nearby to watch me. I can't go where the lifeguards are and I seriously doubt the Gem keeping watch today would allow me to. I could imagine it now. 'No, you cannot go in the water because there's a future where you'll be caught by the tide, and another one where you'll be chased by sharks. You certainly won't be swimming because I saw a wave knocking you over and bruising your thigh, and when your father sees it he'll chew me out for letting you in the water when you're already in danger.'

At least I don't have to be followed everywhere I go when the Oracle of Beach City is keeping surveillance . That's the catch, she doesn't need be by me to know exactly where I am, what I'm doing, or if I'm trying to bend to rules. A quick glance into the future and she knows exactly what I'm up to. It's like if Big Brother was a mysterious fusion Gem with a protective streak and all her eyes are on me.