Discharged

POV Meaghan

Kate stayed at kasper's house last night with Kylie and I stayed in the hospital alone. Usually my friends and family don't like to leave me alone, but I told my mom to go home and get some rest. Sam went back to North Carolina and some of my other friends and family have come to visit me, but for the most part it's just been Kasper, Kate, Kylie, and my mom.

I heard a knock at my door and the doctor walked in. Kate was able to switch my doctor to a female so I felt more comfortable.

"How are you feeling Meg? Are you ready to go home?"

"Hell yeah! Finally!" I started to stand up but the doctor put her hand on my shoulder and gently pushed me back down.

"Hang on, I know you're excited but you still have to be careful." she gave me a friendly laugh and returned to her computer. "You can't just jump out of bed like you normally would. Let's run some tests, take your cast off, and get you some fresh bandages. Then you can get dressed and your mom can take you home. We suggest you don't drive for at least 3 weeks but if you feel inclined to do so, wait 24 hours so the pain killers have time to leave your system. I'll be right back, you can go ahead and change clothes and call your mom to tell her you're being released."

She left the room and I carefully stood up and grabbed my cane. I made my way over to the bag my mom had brought me and grabbed a white t shirt with the champion logo written all over it in blue. I paired it with some grey Nike shorts and my white air forces. I slipped the hospital gown over my head and put the fresh shirt on. As I sat on the edge of the bed, I struggled to get my pants on, but I eventually got the hang of it. I tied my shoes and sat in the chair, waiting for the doctor to come back. I was thinking about texting Kate to tell her I get to go home today, but I decided to surprise her, so I texted Kasper instead.

                         Kasper ⛓🤞

Hey, they're letting me out of the hospital. Can you keep Kate at your place so I can come surprise her?
Read 9:46am

Yeah, of course man. I'll see you soon. I'm so glad you're getting out. How are you feeling?
Sent 9:48am

I'm feeling pretty good. Definitely excited to get out of this hell hole. I gotta go, see you soon. Love you man.
Read 9:52

I shut my phone off and put it in my back pack. The door opened and my mom walked in. A nurse carrying a bag and a circular saw followed her.

"Hey Meg, I'm Dr. Svehla. I'm here to take your cast off. Can you put your arm on this pillow for me? This won't hurt a bit." She cut the cast off and I moved my fingers and wrist. It felt so weird after not being able to move them for a while, but eventually it felt normal again. I thanked the nurse and she left the room, trading places with my main doctor. She ran a few more tests, then gave my mom the discharge papers. I grabbed my back pack and practically sprinted to the car.

"Meg! Slow down, you just got out of the hospital! You need to take it easy!" My mom yelled after me but I didn't care. I was so excited to be out of the hospital, but mostly I was excited to see Kate. I threw my bag in the back seat and got in the front. My mom finally made it to the car and I was eager to get going.

"Put your seat belt on."

"Absolutely not."

"I said put your seat belt on." My mom repeated herself, which she only does when she gets pissed. I decided to test her limits.

"Not gonna happen."

"We're not leaving until you buckle up."

"I trust your driving. Now let's get this show on the road, it's already 10:30, Kate's probably gonna be waking up soon." She rolled her eyes and sighed.