Seven | Funeral

I woke up the next day with a pounding headache and the sun shining directly into my eyes.  I sat up, grumbling to myself about the shades not being drawn, before I yawned, and rolled out of bed. Literally. I landed on my side, something that truly didn't help my headache, and laid there for a few moments before the smell of sizzling bacon wafter through the air.

"Bacon." I said, sitting up and walking out of my room. I pinched the bridge of my nose, resolving to take an Advil or two to ease the pain as I walked down the hall. I made it into the kitchen to see my mother making breakfast, a pile of toaster waffle set out on a plate. I sat down at the counter on one of the red cushioned bar stools, yawning again. 

"Morning honey!" My mom said, smiling at me.

"Morning mom..." I greeted, reaching across the countertop for the Advil container.

"What's wrong kiddo?" My mom asked, and I uncapped the bottle.

"Headache," I replied, "really strong one..."

"Hmm, take two then. We have a lot of planning to do."

The next few hours were, thanks to the Advil, headache free, though they were painful in another way. We spent that time planning Felicia's funeral, buying flowers, Black Calla Lillies, deciding on what food would be there, an assortment of food and sweets, including several of Felicia's favourites, and finally, the most painful part of all. The trip down to the morgue to see Felicia. When we got there, mom pulled a veil over her face and we went inside. Mom did all of the talking, showing her fake ID proving she was a visiting Aunt from LA here to see her niece, well, both of them. The coroner (I assumed that was who we were talking to) led us down a hallway and into the morgue itself. My mom had a tense air about her ever since we walked in which I assumed was because she was about to. The stench of chemicals was so strong I almost wanted to throw up. Taking even breaths I forced it down, waiting as he pulled out one of the trays with bodies from the wall before shutting and walking over to one of the tables to throw back a sheet.

"Ah, yes here we are." he announced, folding the sheet back to reveal Felicia's scarred face. She looked vaguely like Frankenstein's Monster and I covered my mouth turning away, not for fear of throwing up but to mask the tears. The coroner though I was going to hurl and someone rushed over with a bucket but I waved them away.

"Oh my poor niece..." My Mom cried, and I felt a stab of sadness, here she was, seeing her daughters dead body for the first time and she couldn't even acknowledge Felicia as her daughter.

"I assume you're here for the funeral?" the coroner (I still wasn't sure if that was actually his job but I called him that for lack of other knowledge).

"Yeah, I flew out to attend." she replied, and I continued to stare at the blank wall opposite myself.

"You know, we work with this company who does an amazing job with make up, and making the dead look not so dead." the coroner began, and I turned to see him handing my mother a pamphlet with the picture of a dead man lying in a coffin at the top and under the logo in the centre, the same man was sitting up, alive, and giving a the camera a thumbs up.

"No!" I exclaimed loudly, words echoing through the hollow cement room, before I cleared my throat to continue. "No. No thank you." I said awkwardly, but the 'coroner' just nodded, and it was then I noticed that he was unusually happy for a morgue worker. "We'll probably just end up having her cremated..." I said, forcing a small smile.

"Cool! I know a great crematorium!" he said, passing, my mom a second flyer and I concealed a frown.

"Well, we must be going, thank you for the extra help." My mom said, waving goodbye and walking out, flyer clutched tightly in her hand.