Chapter Nineteen

They hadn't talked about it. Not because they didn't want to. But because it was so different from anything either of them had ever experienced before.

Neither of them knew where to begin. Mew couldn't find the words and Korn didn't look like he dared to try. But they had showered together. Kissed and cuddled and kissed some more. Stayed cocooned under Mew's duvet until Korn felt ready to walk home.

That too had been awkward when he'd winced in pain. There was no way to hide his discomfort. Mew had wanted to say something. To offer some commiseration but instead, he stayed silent and offered comfort in another way. The strip of painkillers he'd bought for himself (when he thought things might go in a different direction) were still handy. He peeled off two and poured a glass of water from the jug beside his bed. Korn had taken them with gratitude.

That had been three days ago.

They'd met up a few times since then but it was always outside where there were other people and no chance they would fall victim to temptation. Korn continued to tinker on his bike while they both endured the demands of their mothers'.

"She has decided I need to learn how to shop for a household so this time instead of writing out how many items I need to buy she just wrote the names and gave me the money," Mew said to Korn as they walked to the main supermarket to get the household essentials.

"Sounds like you're screwed."

"Hardly. She buys the same things all the time. I can remember everything she has ever asked me for." Mew crowed with glee, "This is going to be the easiest test ever."

Korn followed Mew's excitement with a little less vigour. He wasn't yet as trusted as his counterpart and had a list with quantities, sizes and brands. He was sure if his mother had space to write the exact prices, she would have.

"We should do something for the holiday."

"You mean other than having more sex?"

"Mew...." Korn admonished then like so many times before, looked around to make sure nobody was listening in or watching them.

Mew feigned innocence and asked, "What...you don't want to have sex again?"

"No," Mew looked up in surprise. He didn't think Korn had made such a decision but hearing him say it was like a blow to the gut.

Korn realized what he'd said after a while because he quickly added in a rather harsh whisper which was probably more attention-grabbing than talking normally in the busy shop, "I don't not want to have more sex. I just don't want to talk about it in the supermarket where anyone can hear."

"Oh..."

Mew's heart was still beating a thousand times a minute. He was relieved to hear Korn's answer but he still moved to the aisle in front of him. It was in part to check for something from the list of items he'd been asked to buy as it was to take a moment to get himself together without Korn looking at him. Mew didn't know when it had become so important to him that Korn want him. He just didn't know if this was just about sex anymore.

But what could it be about?

He ruminated about it as they shopped, walked home and made sure to deliver their purchases as requested. But he still didn't have an answer for himself when they arrived at Korn's house.

"Free at last," Korn said as he flopped on his bed where Mew was flipping through a magazine he'd picked up from the stack in the living room. "My mum and sister made plans to go out together. They were far too happy to inform me that I am going to have to take care of my dinner."