Chapter Twenty Four

Korn didn't know why but he could feel eyes on him all the time. At first, he thought it was some nosey students from school trying to keep the gossip mill going. But it turned out to be Yut—again. The gang leader had started paying them a little too much attention after his run-in with Mew.

Wherever he'd gone had done something to him. His renewed interest in them was not the benign attention of a bully. It was something more menacing. It was like he was looking for something to damn them with. Either that, or there was something else he was looking for and thought he or Mew could answer his questions.

But Korn and Mew were onto him and they made sure to give him no evidence of the growing intimacy and love they had between them.

It wasn't easy.

There were so many times they slipped up. One or the other would reach out and take a hand or caress a cheek or lean in for a kiss, only to remember themselves. Sometimes they caught one of Korn's teammates giving them a knowing smile or a wink or just laughing at their discomfiture at being caught. It seemed to provide his friends with an endless supply of entertainment.

But as much fun as it was for them, Korn and Mew knew there was a lot more at stake. It wasn't just that Yut would have a field day if he ever confirmed what he thought was true. It's that he would paint it in the worst light. He wouldn't see them as a couple. To him, it would be two guys fucking. Because for him that was the extent of any relationship—who was fucking who—rather than the many things they shared.

"He wouldn't tell anyone, would he?" Korn asked.

He was getting worried when they noticed Yut following them for the third day in a row. It was strange that he felt the need to keep tabs on them but he never approached or made any direct threats. Not that he needed to. Keeping tabs on them was proving to be even more stressful than the constant fights and confrontations.

Mew looked back at their less-than-subtle stalker before he responded to Korn, "Like who?"

"There are options. Coach...my parents."

"You don't want to tell them and take that ammunition away from him?"

"Trust me...dealing with Yut would be easier than dealing with my family. No...let him do his worst if he dares. I'm not interested in changing my life to suit his crazy idea of what is right or wrong."

The bravado was necessary. Korn needed to keep a handle on the situation or else he would find himself back to worrying about every little thing at every single moment. It was not a way to live and he wasn't willing to put Mew or himself through that again. He didn't know what he was going to do but dealing with Yut more proactively was starting to look like a necessity, not an option.

Mew was a little less certain about Yut's intentions and even less certain about what to do about it. Yut didn't seem to want to expose them. If that was the case he could have made an accusation and let them deal with the fallout of it. The lack of proof wouldn't even matter if he planted the seed in the right ear.

Whatever he wanted appeared to be tied to the fact that they were dating. It just didn't make any sense. Why would he care? And if he didn't care, why would he bother them?

Mew had a chance to find out one evening as he made his way home alone. Korn had to finish up a pregame tactical session with the rest of the team and the coach. Once again, he didn't have a chance to avoid Yut when he noticed him and was forced to continue on his path since it was the only way to get home.

"Look who's going home alone." Yut's malicious tone carried a menace that was worse than his poorly-veiled anger.

"That's because Korn has basketball practise, dumbass." Mew didn't know why he felt he needed to explain but it was better than dealing with the derision Yut was sending his way. It wasn't like walking home without his boyfriend was a character flaw.