Chapter Twenty Three

It should have been easy to get back to school but Korn had grown accustomed to the lazy days. The only thing that made him a little happier was that he got to ride his new bicycle to and from school and he got to play basketball every day.

"So how exactly does the championship work?" Mew asked him at the end of the first week.

There were still no assignments but there was a lot of required reading and they were just making it through the list of references.

"Well, we have qualifiers throughout the term. First with the schools in this district. Whoever wins at that level will qualify for the inter-district competition and compete for the regional title. Whoever wins the regional title goes on to the national championship."

"How many games in total?"

"Only eight. We don't have as many schools in our district that compete in the league. But each team has to play every other team at least once to see who qualifies by points. Then we go into a semi-final and a final." Korn explained.

"And this is important?"

"Yeah...it's the last chance for any seniors to be scouted for scholarships, so that's a big deal. The school needs a win if they are going to advertise their 'holistic education that focuses on the best academic experience and a robust extracurricular program'."

"The brochure actually says that?"

"Nah...I just made it up."

"So what about classes?"

"It's always been an easy way to get out of class. But there isn't any need. Games are scheduled after class or on weekends for the finals. Practise is either after school or before class. We have a choice between the gym and the outside court depending on the weather, so no games or practices get cancelled or moved. It's really up to the players. If they want to learn they will. If they want to slack off, they will."

"You..."

"I don't know...I think my boyfriend will have a say about that."

The title was still new and exciting to both of them, so they naturally stopped to share a moment. Staring into each other's eyes until one of Korn's friends smacked him over the head. "If you want to eat him, get a room. Otherwise, you better get ready, the class is starting."

Mew almost leaned in to kiss Korn then caught himself just in time. Korn smiled. Knowing what had nearly happened, his heart was beating faster and louder. Because, unlike Mew, he hadn't even thought about censoring himself.

Things would get very complicated very fast if anyone found out about them and he wasn't willing to do that just yet. Maybe not ever. Instead, he gave a self-conscious wave and Mew was equally awkward as he left Korn's class and headed to his own.

"Are you going to make him come and watch us practise?" Nat asked once Korn had taken his seat beside him.

"Why would I make him do anything? He'll come if he wants to and he won't if he doesn't."

"You won't mind if he doesn't come to cheer you on?" Nat asked incredulously.

Korn didn't have to answer since the teacher walked in. But he had to admit he would mind. He still wouldn't say anything about it. He wanted Mew to know he was free to do whatever he wanted with his time. If coming to their games was okay, he'd like that, but if he preferred to study or get some other work done, Korn wasn't about to stop him out of his selfish desire.

~

"Get those legs up higher. I want to see you jump high enough to touch the edge of the backboard—again!