Chapter Twenty Eight

It was insane that they were still in the league.

By this time last year, the seniors were already focused on their studies and Korn and his friends, who were juniors at the time, were trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the season. With their latest win, it seemed they were going to have to figure out a way to balance their studies and practise because they were doing too well. They hadn't lost a match yet and if they managed to keep up the streak they could make it to the finals.

It was exciting.
It was exhausting.

"I know I promised to get here earlier but..." Korn apologized as he leaned in and gave Mew a quick kiss hello.

"Hey...it's okay. Do you want something to eat or will you get something when you get home?" He asked. He'd finished his dinner a short while ago and it would be easy to put a plate together for Korn.

"Will you keep me company if I say yes?"

"You have my attention."

Mew served him while Korn looked at him like he might like to devour him instead of the food on the plate. It was very flattering and it made his stomach do a crazy flip. Mew had to admit he liked that Korn was making time for them even when he had so little of it.

"Shit. Did I fall asleep again?" Korn startled awake and looked over at Mew with guilt written all over his face. "Yeah..."

They had planned to study but Mew had watched in silence as Korn first dropped his pen, then his head before dropping off altogether. He could tell Korn was tired but he didn't know what to do so he watched him and had his fill of the sight of his face without the strain that characterized his every waking moment.

"You should have woken me."

"You need the rest. In fact, I think you should lie down. Take a proper nap and we can continue when you feel refreshed. Right now, you can't even keep your eyes open." Mew suggested.

Korn protested at first but Mew insisted. He helped Korn out of the chair and onto the bed but Korn grabbed his hand when he tried to move back to the reading desk, "Will you lie down with me?"

"Korn...?" Mew warned.

"I swear we will just sleep. You look like you need it too."

He knew it wasn't prudent. The battle he was waging inside himself was decided when Korn made room on the bed. Mew joined him and pulled him into his arms. The comfort of Korn resting on his shoulder was entirely unexpected. He set his alarm so they wouldn't sleep for too long. A powernap to get them firing on all cylinders was all they needed.

It didn't take them long to drop off. Korn had been right, he was exhausted. What he'd been wrong about was that it would just be a nap. They woke up pressed against each other. Korn had gone from resting on his shoulder to teasing the side of his neck. His breath fanning against the skin sending shivers down Mew's spine.

They were making love before either of them was fully aware. Moving against each other in search of the causes of such pleasure. Repeating what they had learnt but were far from bored with. By the time they were ready to get back to work, it was already late but they were determined to finish, which meant they both had an extremely late night.

~

"This game gets us to the quarter-finals," Nat said to the team, "We have to bring our A-game. These guys aren't going to let us walk all over them. So get it together."

"On three..." Game said as they put their hands together in the middle of the huddle and cheered on his count.

Korn took the time to check the stands and when his eyes locked on Mew's, he nodded in acknowledgement. Mew had insisted on accompanying him and the team on their away-game so he was one of a few students from their school in the stands. There were a couple of girls sitting next to him who seemed to notice Korn's move but when Mew didn't respond, they turned back to Korn and waved. He didn't acknowledge them. Instead, he took his position against their opponent as the referee blew the starting whistle.