ch.14

Pov. Tony
It's been about an hour since I had to pick up Peter from the crime scene. The paramedic gave me a phone number to call for updates. I should call them, huh.

I pick up my cellphone and dial the number on the slip of paper.

"hello, this is new york general hospital, how may I help you?" A young woman on the other end says.

"I'm calling about a... wade Wilson? They said to call you for updates." I say, reading the name on the paper. "and what is your relation to mr.wilson?" She asks.

I have to make something up so she'll tell me, but it has to be believable. I decide to go with as close to the truth as I can.

"he's my son's close friend. My son was in the area when wade got hurt." I say. I hear the woman on the other end sigh, and type something.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you anything, but if you came down to the hospital I could arrange for one of his doctors to speak with you, would that work?" She asks.

I can't leave Peter alone, but he's asleep in the med bay, and I could call Steve and bucky to take care of him, right?

"yes, that would be great." I say. "and what would be a good name for you?" She asks. "tony stark"

"sir, if this is a joke you can just hang up now" she says, sounding anoyyed. "I'm serious." I say. I hear a sigh on the other end, and more typing.

"ok Mr. Tony stark, drop by anytime and I'll tell them you're here." She says, sounding irritated before hanging up.

I sigh and put my phone back into my pocket. I should probably call someone to stay here just in case Peter wakes up, right?

I'll call cap.

"hey tony." "Steve, could you come back to the tower? I need to go somewhere and I don't want to leave Peter here by himself." I say.

"what? I'll be over soon, what happened?" He says, get more and more concerned by the second. "it's nothing, I'm just worried" I don't want to tell him, I know he'll try to talk about it.

"it's clearly something tony, to called me Steve. You never do that." He says. "I can't tell you, I don't know everything, I just need someone to watch Peter." I say.

"I'm on my way." He says before he hangs up. I go to my room and put on a suit, I have to keep face. As I walk towards the elevator I see Steve standing in the living room.

"peter's in the medbay." I say as I step into the elevator. Steve runs in just before the doors close. "why is he in the med bay?" He asks, sounding more worried than I am.

"he passed out. He should be fine. Just, please watch him while I'm gone, and don't ask him anything ok?" I say. "fine. Don't be to long." Steve says as he steps out into the medbay.

The elevator goes down to the garage and happy is sitting at his desk near the elevator. "where are we off to today boss?" He asks, standing up and grabbing a set of keys.

"new york general hospital." I say. "did some one get hurt?" He asks. "yes."

"who?"

"peters friend."

I get into the car and we're at the hospital in only a few minutes. I step out of the car and people surround me faster than I can close my door.

Happy pushes through the crowd and gets me through the doors. I didn't expect to see such a big crowd, I mean, no one knew I was coming to the hospital.

I walk up to the front desk and the woman doesn't even look up at me. "how can I help you?" She asks. "I'm here to talk to wade wilsons doctor." I say.

"so you must be ton-" she starts in a sarcastic tone, stopping when she looks up at me. "I'll page the doctor now. Take a seat please." She says, blinking and shakeing her head.

I sit in the waiting room next to a woman with a small child. "Iron man!" The kid says, pointing at me. I smile at him and wave.

"tony stark?" A doctor asks as he walks in. The entire room goes silent. "That's me." I say, standing up and walking down the hall with the doctor.

"you're here about wade Wilson, correct?"  He asks. "yes, he's a close friend of my interns." I say. "well the good news is he should be fine. He's in heart surgery, but everything seems to be going smoothly." He says.

"heart surgery?" I ask. "someone attempted chest compressions which caused slight bleeding. It probably scared the paramedic more than anything." He says.

"he should be out of surgery in an hour or so. He can't have any visitors untill tomorrow, maybe even the day after." He says.

"so he'll be okay?" I ask. "yes, he'll be okay." He says. I didn't realize I was holding my breath untill I stopped.

I'll call cap in the car.

Pov. Peter
I open my eyes and the room is so bright it hurts. I put my hand over my eyes and try to sit up. I sit on the edge of the... table?

"Peter!" Mr.stark says, putting a hand on my shoulder. I flinch a little, but I don't think he notices. It's still to bright for me, so I can't see if anyone else is in the room.

"are you ok?" He asks. "yeah, it's kinda bright in here." I say. The lights dim and I put my hand down. "thanks bucky" mr.stark says.

I look over and see bucly standing by the door, leaning on the wall. He looks more worried than usual. Wait, am I in the med bay?

"why are we in the med bay? What happened?" I ask, trying to slide off of the table. My feet touch the ground and it feels like everything is normal, until my knee gives out and I fall.

"pete!" Bucky yells as he runs across the room at me. At least I can still see. "ok, back up on the table." Mr.stark says as he lifts me back onto the table.

I feel like a five year old.

"can you hear me? How many fingers and I holding up?" Uncle bucky says, holding his hand up in front of my face.

"four, your thumb isn't a finger. I didn't fall that hard." I say. I can see uncle bucky and mr.stark both untense and sigh.

"ok, but seriously. Why are we in the med bay? What happened?" I ask.

"first things first, wade is okay, they said he's expected to make a near full recovery." Uncle bucky says.

My heart sinks in my chest. What happened? Did I drag wade into something and get him hurt?

"recovery from what?" I ask. "while you were on patrol he got hurt. Really hurt." Mr.stark says. "I had to go pick you up, and you didn't remember anything." He says.

"where is he?" I ask. I need to see him, I need to apologize. "He's in the hospital. they won't allow visitors for a few days, so you should focus on you for now."

How am I supposed to focus on me when it's probably my fault wade's in the hospital. His parents are probably worried sick.

"Peter? Hey, Peter! You zoned out, are you ok?" Uncle bucky says, waving his hand in front of my face. "yeah, I'm fine." I say, standing up off the table.

How the hell am I supposed to balance a normal high school and being spiderman if this is what happens to the people I love?