Chapter 29 - Sleigh Ride

Andrei and Anastasia waited outside on the house's porch for the sleigh to be prepared. The horse-drawn sleigh pulled in front of them minutes later, Oliver sitting at the reins.

"Hop in!" he smiled, his face shown only by a small fire lit lantern. The two sat next to one another on the cold leather seats. The wind blew softly as the sleigh traveled on the empty road leading to town.

"I've heard the whole town is decked out in lights and there's a huge Christmas tree in the square! Is that right, Oliver?" Anastasia asked.

"Indeed miss!" Oliver replied.

"Excite-" Andrei started.

"Yes!" Anastasia interrupted. "Sorry."

The sleigh traveled on for a few miles until they were at a clearing of trees at the top of a hill overlooking King's Lynn.

"Look!" Oliver alerted Andrei and Anastasia who sat facing away from the view. They turned around to see the huge town, illuminated by colored lights. They spotted thousands of cars that sped down the roads, some had Christmas trees, resting on its tops. Then, they all caught sight of the huge tree nestled in the square. Though they were miles from town, the slight scent of peppermint lingered in the air.

"What are we waiting for!?" Anastasia put her hand on her hip and a finger in the air as if she were a war general from out of a painting. "Off we go!"

The sun had fully set and the town came alive. Fires burned inside of street lamps. The air was filled with more scents like burning firewood. Men and women bundled their coats tightly as they carried rosy-cheeked children home. Smoke puffed out of chimneys in symmetrical rows.

Anastasia leaned over the side of the sleigh to see everything that went on. She spotted merchants selling their things, carolers singing merry songs to people that passed by, and families that walked the sidewalk, admiring the sights.

Anastasia felt somewhat saddened by this. Christmas had always been a memorable time for her family. She remembered the warm, joyous feeling of spending it with the people you love. 

"You know you might fall out if you lean too far." Andrei chuckled. Not looking behind her, Anastasia leaned back into the sleigh and swatted Andrei with her hand.

"Hey!" Andrei called out, his chuckle now a laugh.

As the sleigh crossed a bridge, Anastasia and Andrei watched as kids ice skated on the frozen river, their laughter filling the air. Faintly in the distance, a church bell rang out. The sleigh traveled to the town square where the huge tree stood, decorated every bit with lanterns. Families stopped to admire the tree, children's faces painted with joy, anxiously awaiting the night Father Christmas would come.

"Can we maybe stop in one little shop? Just to look!" Anastasia asked Oliver once they had ridden past the tree. Oliver sucked in his breath. He knew Alexandra had strictly said not to allow them in shops but what did she know? She wasn't even here!

"I suppose! Just for a few minutes." Oliver smiled. He managed to park in front of a sweet shop for a moment before letting them off.

"I'll be just around the corner!" he directed as Anastasia sprinted into the shop.

"Andrei!" Oliver whispered as he shut the door of the sleigh.

"Here." he took a few pounds from out of his pocket. "Buy her something nice."

Andrei stashed the money inside of his coat pocket. Inside, the shop was a warm refuge from the bitter cold outside. The air was scented of fresh kettle corn. Andrei spotted Anastasia scouring the shelves.