Chapter 35 - Auntie Anastasia

The month carried on. Soon the girls had spent two years without their family.

August arrived and Maria and Valentin had gathered everyone into the saloon to give them their special news.

"I've gathered you all here because..." Maria started.

"I'm going to have a baby."

Everyone's mouth hung open. All were silent. Suddenly, Anastasia screamed.

"Maria!" she attacked her sister in a hug."Oh, Mashka!"

Maria had always wanted to have children, so her wish had finally come true.

"You'll be an amazing mother!" Anastasia looked at her sister, who had tears in her eyes. "I hope it will be a girl!"

"I do not care if it is a boy or a girl," Maria stated. "I shall be happy both ways for god has blessed our family with this wonderful baby."

"I'm so happy for you, Mashka. So are Mama and Papa."

Soon came nineteen-twenty-one. In January, Dasia had some news of her own.

"I've stayed quite too long. I think I should be returning home," she explained one night at dinner.

"Surely we can live here? Right?" Andrei asked everyone.

"Of course you can both live here! If you wish. We have plenty of room. You're family!" Alexandra offered.

"Come on Auntie! Russia is stuck in the past. Things are thriving here!"

Dasia hesitated. "Well if it isn't too much trouble. I guess we should stay. I certainly don't want to miss your baby's birth." she motioned to Maria.

"Then It's settled!" Valentin smiled.

"I will have to go back to Russia and I'll have sell the house." Dasia fretted.

"I can come-" Andrei started.

"Can I come! Oh, please, oh, please can I go with you!" Anastasia pleaded. She missed Russia so much.

"Nastasia, dear. I don't think you should go back." Olga advised as she took a sip of her wine.

"I fear things are getting worse with the new government No, Anastasia. You can't go back."

Anastasia could feel tears developing in her eyes. She couldn't bear never returning to Russia. She didn't want to be a foreigner in her own country. So much had changed since her father ruled - it seemed things had only gotten worse.

-

The girls were anxiously awaiting the baby's birth, which was due in March.

"Do you have any names picked out yet?" Anastasia asked one morning as she laid in her bed in her room. Maria pondered and looked out at the house's gardens as Anastasia took a photo of her.

"I'm afraid not. We don't even know the gender."

"I want it to be a girl!" Anastasia insisted.

"I know Shvibzik! You've been saying that over and over again!"

"I'll teach her all of my tricks! I'll show her how to climb trees! Oh, It will be wonderful!"

"What if she or he doesn't want to climb trees or play pranks?" Maria patted her stomach.

"I'll make her! She'll be just like her Auntie Anastasia!"