12

Kageyama p.o.v

"He's... By the gate?"

Hinata nodded, not meeting my gaze. "I don't know what to do anymore, Kageyama.."

I grabbed his hand and squeezed it assuringly. I wasn't sure what to do either.

"Aren't you guys leaving yet? Daichi-san wants to lock up."

I turned at Yamaguchi's voice and could only manage a smile. "We're just leaving... Hinata, come on. Let's go."

He refused to move. In fact, I don't think he even wants to leave the gym. Then, an idea struck me.

"Yamaguchi-kun, could you, uh, well, tell Daichi-san that me and Hinata will be staying here longer? We'll clean and lock up once we're done."

"We have practice tomorrow though.. But okay, I'll do that." His gaze shifted to Hinata. "A-Are you okay?"

Hinata only nods, not looking at any of us. Yamaguchi went off to inform Daichi and he came back with the keys. " "Don't stay too long... Make sure you get some rest too." was what he said."

I nodded and thanked him profusely. I turned toward Hinata. "Oi, we can stay here a little longer. You want me to toss to you? It's... Been a while."

Hinata smiled a little and nodded. "It'd be nice."

And so began our self-practice.

***

Hinata p.o.v

He is an abusive father. Nothing good will come out of it if I boast about him. Why would I want to lie and be happy about it? I hate my life.. My pride, my dignity. Gone. They were all stripped away from me because of him. Because of what a monster he is.

"Hinata?"

I ended up not wanting to do any practice and was just standing there, holding the ball and staring into space. Letting my thoughts flow around my head was quite relieving.

"Hinata, are you okay?" Kageyama's voice literally calms me down. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing..." I could only manage to put on a smile. "Let's practice?"

A flash of worry crossed his face before he nodded and went to his position. I threw the ball just about right above his head and he gave a perfect toss. Putting all of my emotions into that one motion, I spiked the ball hard

That feeling of spiking the ball was satisfying. But it's a feeling that is short lived. "One.. more."

I saw a brief grin form on Kageyama's face and I took another ball, throwing it and spiking the toss he gave. My hand stung with satisfactory of spiking the ball, and it was all I needed to remind me that I'm still alive.

"That.. Was one strong spike. Are you sure you're okay?" Kageyama placed a hand on my shoulder, only for me to brush it off. "...Hinata?"

"I'm fine."

Silence followed. We neither moved nor spoke a word.

***

Kageyama p.o.v

"I'm going back to my place after this," He sounded, completely catching me off-guard. Has he lost his mind?! "It's better to find out what he wants than having my sister or my mother as sacrifce. They've gone through enough."

I balled my hands into fists as anger bubbled inside me. "So have you!! Don't put yourself in danger like that! We don't know what your father's going to do to you if you ever step foot in that house with him in it! Don't--"

"SHUT UP!! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE IN THERE WITH HIM..!" He cut me off before I could say anything further. His voice had hitched and cracked. Tears were falling down his face. "..The fear of having him in the house.. The pain... The agony... The embarrassment... Everything he ever did to satisfy his own greed... His... Own self... He took away my pride... He hurt my mother... I... I don't want to her cry because of me anymore.....!!" Hinata fell on his kness as he cried it all out. I could only stare at him in his state, not knowing what to do.

He had gone through so much at such a young age. His father had been nothing but be a jerk and an ass to the family. His mother is trying so hard to put the family back together, defeating the purpose of the divorce in the first place. Their argument for custody ended on a sour note.

As a form of comfort, I could only think of one thing. I went down on my knees and embraced him in a hug. He needed it. I didn't care what people were going to say about us. At this point, I just know he needs someone to be by his side.

I whispered, only loud enough for him to hear.

"....I'm sorry.."

***