12 | the understanding

Archer and I maintained our distance for the next few days. We spoke only when needed, only for work, and strangely, we didn't fight, not even once. It was just exchanges of hollow, empty words, too formal, too detached. But maybe it was better this way, without any complications, or confusion.

I just went about the rest of my life with as much normalcy as I could, although one incident surely stood out.

I had gone to the toilet in the middle of class one day when I suddenly heard the sound of sniffling coming from one of the cubicles. I frowned. Who was crying?

I knocked softly on the door of the second cubicle. "Hello? Is there anyone inside? Have you got a problem?"

The sniffling stopped, and after a few seconds, the door opened to reveal none other than Beth.

My eyes widened. "Beth, were you crying inside? Did something happen?"

Her eyes were red and puffy, so my question seemed sort of obvious. But Beth sniffled again.

"I only came out of the toilet because it's you. I don't mind telling you this since I like you and you're one of my friends. And I know I can trust you. But had it been anyone else, I wouldn't have come out."

I furrowed my brows. "What is it, Beth? You can tell me anything, I'm here."

She took a deep breath. "I..I'm bisexual. I think. I'm still figuring out."

I frowned in confusion. "So? It's okay if you're confused about it, you're allowed to be confused. You still have a lot of time to figure out your sexuality and if you think you're bisexual then that's who you are. It's what you feel and what you identify as. No one can control this part of you."

She smiled at me. "I know, Viv, but unfortunately my parents don't think so. I finally worked up the courage to tell them over the phone yesterday, that I felt I was bisexual. They went completely bollocks at me. They shouted and said I'd disappointed them and--and they," she sniffled again, "they said I had to choose the normal path for myself, and not get into these things."

I hugged her tightly, apalled at what her parents thought. "Listen, Beth. No one can dictate your preferences, alright? Not even your parents. If you feel you identify with a certain gender or sexuality then that's your choice and your feeling. If your parents have this mindset then forget about them for now. Focus on your life, yourself. You can convince your parents and make them see reason during the Christmas holidays when we all go back home. That's just a few weeks away. Till then just throw your head back and have a good laugh, okay!"

Beth smiled at my words. "Thank you, Viv. You can always make people smile with your words."

I laughed. "Well, that's what I'm here for. You know, spread joy. You should call me for Christmas instead of Santa."

Chuckling, Beth wiped the remainder of her tears and we both exited the toilet to go back to our classes.

Later that day, as Archer and I were sitting in the study, working in silence, I kept on thinking about what Beth had said. It was so sad to see how so many people still didn't accept the LGBTQ+ community, even if their own child was a part of it. Beth's parents were a vivid example.

I must've looked really out of sorts because Archer uncharacteristically spoke up.

"You look weird."

I jerked out of my thoughts to look at him. This was the first time we'd said anything to each other outside of work, in weeks. I rolled my eyes at him. "Thanks."

"No seriously, is something up?"

"And you care because?"

Archer's jaw hardened as he glared at me. "Jesus Christ, Vivian, I'm only trying to ask a normal question here! Why do you always have to act like a bi--"

He stopped midway when he realised what he was about to say. I stilled.

"Go ahead, say it. I know you're dying to."

I looked at him calmly, not daring to show even an inch of the hurt coursing through my veins. He fell silent, dropping his gaze.

I kept on looking at him for a few seconds, after which I decided I'd had enough of fighting and simply said, "Another tally mark for you for losing your cool."

Archer glanced up at me, his shoulders visibly relaxing. He'd probably thought I'd start a huge fight over this whole thing, but he was wrong. I was too tired, plus now I had an advantage over him in our ongoing bet.

Yes, we hadn't forgotten about that.

He shrugged. "Alright, a tally mark is fair."

After another few minutes, I couldn't take the silence anymore. I was not a natural introvert, and being in an eerily quiet atmosphere felt suffocating. So I decided to tell Archer what was bothering me.

"Earlier I was thinking about how so many parents refuse to accept their own children when they come out."

Archer raised his eyebrows. "Why were you suddenly thinking about that?"

I couldn't spill Beth's secret. "I just...had this thought out of nowhere."

I could tell Archer knew there was more to the story but he didn't question me further. He sighed. "Yeah, it's really pathetic. Thankfully I know my parents aren't like that. My cousin Daisy is a lesbian and they love her like their own daughter."

I smiled at the mention of his parents. Mr and Mrs Woods were great people, I had no doubt about that. I had spent enough time with them to know that they were two of the most humble and tolerant people in the universe.

Archer continued. "Same goes for your parents. I don't think they'd ever turn you away if you came out."

I nodded. "Yeah, but not everyone is as lucky as us in the parents department."

"Yeah, I know. I still can't believe we have to fight for these things in 2020."

"Me too."

We lapsed into a silence which wasn't uncomfortable, for the first time in ages. It was more of a pensive mood, not happy, but at least we'd managed to find a common ground we both agreed upon and felt deeply about.

Archer was the first to break the silence. "I think it's time now. Half past seven. Let's go back."

As we parted ways at the corridor, he gave me a small nod, and walked off. It was a sign of an understanding, a kind of partnership, and for the first time I felt hopeful that maybe we could work well as Head Girl and Boy even if we'd been a disaster as a couple.

a/n: hope you liked this chapter! a filler but with an important message that i hope you all agree with :)
also, below is a picture of how i (kind of) imagine viv and arch. featuring benedetta porcaroli and lorenzo zurzolo.

 featuring benedetta porcaroli and lorenzo zurzolo