27 | the heart-to-heart

After a few minutes just lingering around in the living room, I turned to Archer.

"We should freshen up and then see what food we can have."

"But we just ate!"

"That was two hours ago. And you ate so little that it shouldn't be called eating at all. Now don't argue and go change into some fresh clothes. Go."

He scowled at me. "I forgot how bossy you can get."

"Well, now you remember. Now go!"

He went to the toilet while I stood in the living room, looking at the photo frames and happy memories, all frozen in time.

Fifteen minutes later, Archer entered the room, changed into a fresh shirt and sweatpants. He managed to look good even when tired. What the hell?

He looked at me. "Won't you freshen up too?"

I nodded. "I will, but I'll just wash my hands and face. I don't have a change of clothes and I have to go back to Bloomwood tonight, so there's no point."

After washing all the dirt off my face, I joined Archer in the kitchen. "Come on, let's see what we have."

I opened the fridge and took out some bread.  "We can make some ham and cheese sandwiches. I'll also make some tea."

Archer nodded mechanically. I had a feeling he wasn't really paying attention. I flicked my fingers in front of his face. "Archer! Did you even listen to a word of what I said?"

He'd been staring off into space when I'd jerked him back to reality. "What?"

I rolled my eyes. "Did you hear what I said right now?"

"Of course I did."

"Well then, what did I say?"

He hesitated. "You--uh, you said we'll have sausages?"

I gave him a flat look. "I said we can have ham and cheese sandwiches and tea later. Archer, you have to quit stressing out like this. It'll be alright, I promise."

He shook his head. "No, erm...I wasn't thinking about that."

"Then?"

He shook his head. "Nothing."

Okay, now my curiosity was piqued. "No, tell me!"

He sighed. "I was...I was just thinking about what had happened on our doorstep almost two years ago. And how we went from that to this," he motioned between us, "in such a short time. From that night, to being so so distant now."

I couldn't break away from that look he was giving me. Hadn't I thought of the same thing just a while back? Hadn't I had the same emotions coursing through me when we'd entered the house?

It took me a while to respond, but I did.

"Do you really think you and I can ever be 'so so distant'?"

He looked at me. "What do you mean?"

I sighed. "I mean, do you really think we can ever go back to being strangers, Archer? We've gone through so much together, and even now. We might not be a couple anymore, but we're still doing so much as a team. As Heads. Do you think we can ever lose this--this connection that we seem to have?"

I was laying all my thoughts out on the table, and at this point I didn't care if I was being too open or too honest. I had to be raw, I just couldn't help it.

He stayed silent for some time. "Maybe you're right. We can't really pretend we're total strangers. I...I just wish hadn't been so bloody stupid."

I gave him a sad smile. "I wish that too."

He gave a defeated sigh, and after a brief moment, he said, "But thanks once again, Vi, for coming today. I really didn't think you would, after you said you needed space. I don't deserve this."

I smiled. "Don't thank me, this was the least I could've done. And what happened between you and me shouldn't stop me from being by you and your family's side. Oh, and that reminds me, I told my parents about Mrs Woods and they'll visit the hospital tomorrow. They've called your dad."

He nodded. "Oh, that's okay. They didn't need to take the trouble..."

"Nonsense. Our parents are so close, of course mine will go to the hospital. They were insistent. Now come here, help me with these sandwiches."

He reached over for the bread as we began working together in a comfortable silence.

°

We spent the rest of the day lazing around in the living room, watching some TV and just talking like friends. It was strange, but in a good way. I needed to cheer him up a bit, and make him think of other things, so I kept on talking like a chatterbox, of the most random topics I could think of.

At one point, even Archer said, "You know, I'm not dumb. I know what you're trying to do. You're trying to distract me."

Undeterred, I asked, "Is it working?"

He cracked a small smile. "Yes."

Towards the end of the evening, it was time for me to go back to Bloomwood. We had a curfew and I couldn't be late for supper.

I picked up my bag and phone and headed for the door. Archer emerged after talking to his dad over the phone.

I looked at him. "What did your dad say?"

"He's on his way back home. Mum...mum is the same as before and apparently the doctors told him to go back home for tonight."

I nodded. "Good, then he'll be here in a few minutes. Alright, I have to get going now. I have to be back at Bloomwood before supper."

He nodded. "Yes, okay."

"How long are you taking leave?"

"My dad won't let me miss school, so I'll be back on Monday. But I've told him, the moment we hear the doctors are ready to operate on mum, I'm coming back and staying at the hospital."

I nodded. "Alright. And don't worry, Arch, she'll be better soon. Very soon. Your mum's a fighter and I know she'll fight through this as well."

He looked at me, eyes filled with vulnerability. Finally, he whispered, "Can I hug you?"

I don't know why, but my eyes suddenly swelled with unshed tears.

Unsaid, so much left unsaid.

I could only nod as he took two steps forward and wrapped me in his arms. I entwined my arms around his back and held him tight. I didn't know when I'd get to hug him like this next.

He rested his chin in the crook of my neck for a long time before letting go. I gave him a slight smile before saying "goodbye" and heading out. My car was waiting outside this time.

Only when I was well on my way to Bloomwood, did I realise that today, we'd both called each other Arch and Vi, just like old times, and just as naturally.

I shook my head. I was supposed to be distant. I was supposed to be distant.

But somehow, when I saw him like that, so broken and scared and vulnerable, I couldn't bring myself to.

a/n: how did you guys like this chapter? also random fact part 2: i have a thing for eyes. attractive eyes (preferably green). like they're the first thing i notice in guys. what about you? what's the first thing you notice in a person? like the first physical feature that attracts you?