37 | the funday

After the party on Saturday, one thing was clear.

My feelings were definitely resurfacing, and there was nothing I could do to stop them.

Sometimes, life had a strange way of going about things, and even if you thought you didn't want something, your heart would tell you otherwise, and you'd end up conceding.

My situation was something like that. I didn't want to admit it, but how long could I go on lying to myself? I'd always prided myself on being honest, and that included being true to myself. So I couldn't keep on trying to deny it.

Archer was doing funny things to my heart, again.

When had he not?

I sighed. The problem was, I was afraid to let him in, since there was no guarantee he wouldn't hurt me again. And there was no way I'd be able to deal with the same heartbreak a second time over.

That was the hurdle which was stopping me from telling him anything. I was just too afraid he might repeat his mistake, however hard he tried not to.

I behaved normally with him, as if we hadn't been so close at the party, as if the dance had never even happened. Maybe he thought I wanted to ignore it, so he was respecting my silence and going along with it, but the truth was I wanted to address my feelings. I was just so scared of what might happen afterwards.

I gave my head a slight shake as I worked at the study with Archer, thinking about all this.

Archer looked over at me, eyebrow raised in that annoyingly perfect way. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Why?"

"You just shook your head like a weirdo all of a sudden."

I glared at him. "Shut up, I was just thinking about something."

He grinned, to my chagrin. "Sure, that wasn't weird at all."

"It wasn't!"

"Would you say the same thing if I'd shaken my head suddenly without any reason?"

I hesitated. He laughed. "See?"

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. Now get back to work, you idiot."

"Oh, I'm the idiot."

This banter went on for a few more minutes before we both decided enough was enough and work was calling.

°

Our exams were fast approaching, and so was Funday. Archer and I were busy discussing our plans and taking a vote with the rest of the class. Finally we came to a decision.

Our fun activity for this year would be ice skating. There was a rink nearby which had ice throughout the year, and we'd never been there from school. So this year most of the students voted to visit the rink and book it for the day.

Archer and I had come up with several options after hours of arguing, like a pool party, paintball fight, etc. The ice skating idea was favoured over the pool party by the students, whereas the paintball idea, as fun as it sounded, was rejected by our Headmaster since he couldn't afford to have "more than a hundred messy students soaked in paint at the school." His words, not mine.

Finally, lots of arguments, voting and decision-making later, we settled on ice skating, which sounded quite fun to me since I knew how to skate, but hadn't done it in years, meaning I was really excited to try it out again.

The highly-anticipated Funday finally came, and boy, was everyone ready for it. Early in the morning all the students were up and about, not one person complaining or looking groggy. Everyone seemed wide awake.