2.4

"No! The Dark Lord was clear, the girl is to do it

"No! The Dark Lord was clear, the girl is to do it."

~~~~~

I steadied my wand as I watched Bellatrix, Draco, and the other Death Eaters step into the clearing of the astronomy tower as well. My aunt looked between me and Dumbledore, the same maniacal smirk plastering across her face. "Well done, Seraphina." She said whispering into my ear from behind me.

"Good evening, Bellatrix. I think introductions are in order, don't you?" He said.

"Love to, Albus, but I'm afraid we're all on a bit of a tight schedule," Bellatrix explained. "Do it." She turned to me. I looked at her hesitating. Dumbledore was right, my heart wasn't in this. I didn't want him to die, and I especially did not want to be the cause of his death. I would be locked up in Azkaban for the rest of my life just like my disgraced father.

"She doesn't have the stomach, just like her father." Greyback insulted. "Let me finish him in my own way."

"Don't talk about my father you disgusting dog." I spat, angering him. Before he could attempt to attack me, Bellatrix held him back.

"No! The Dark Lord was clear, the girl is to do it. This is your moment. Do it." Bellatrix encouraged. I couldn't do it, I knew I couldn't do it. I was too scared. "Go on, Sera. Now!" She yelled impatiently. I was in my own head at the moment, away from everything that was happening.

How was I supposed to do something for someone who barely appreciated my existence? Not just one person, my whole family. Since the day I was born, everyone treated me as if I wasn't meant to be a Malfoy. Draco would get all the attention while I basically lived in his shadow.

"No," Snape said causing me to turn around. I hadn't even noticed he was there until he spoke. I went over to Draco as he held me almost protectively.

"Severus. Please." I heard Dumbledore's voice plead calmly.

"Avada Kedavra," Snape said. Turning around, I saw the horrifying scene of Dumbledore's body falling out from the very top of the tower. I felt an ache in my heart as I was dragged along with everyone else. Dumbledore was like the father that I never had. He cared for me when my real father couldn't. He believed in me when no one else did. Now I was watching him die.

Swiftly making our way through the castle, Draco and I held each other's hand, afraid for whatever would come next. As we were walking through the Great Hall, I couldn't help but stand and look around at the once happy place, be destroyed by Bellatrix. A tear managed to escape from the corner of my eye, running down my cheek.

Hogwarts is and will always be my home. If I could've done something differently to have prevented all of this, I would've but it was inevitable.

I snapped out of my thoughts as Draco tugged on my arm, signaling for me to continue walking. I wiped the tear away following the group. We walked through the grounds of the school until making it to Hagrid's home. "Snape! He trusted you!" I heard the all too familiar voice yell from farther up the hill. As Harry approached, Bellatrix sent the small cottage into flames.

"Go on," Snape said as Draco and I returned to the rest of the group.

***

**Narrator's POV**

No one knew how this would play out in the end; who would survive to tell the tale, and who would die protecting what they loved. The future of Hogwarts remained in one person's hands. Time was of the essence if he wanted to save the place he so dearly loved. But he didn't know where to start, nor what it was that he was looking for.

She, on the other hand, was living a lie. Where her loyalty stood, was a difficult thing to comprehend; not even she could make up the decision for herself. All she knew was that her heart was in the right place to help, but she couldn't. She was trapped in a life that she couldn't choose.

There was no way out for her. This was who she now was. She had to either accept it or meet the fatal end of the Killing Curse.

That's what she had originally thought. But what if...it didn't have to end like that?