Entry #19 - If you were the Girl

If you were The Girl

- LookingForUnknown

It was a peaceful holiday on a Halloween night. A good time to rest from a double shift work from a fine restaurant. But I can't deny the fact that something doesn't feel right tonight. The dogs are keep on howling and the night is getting more colder. 

Maybe its just because of the Halloween vibe, I said to myself.

I was about to close my eyes when a loud bang on my window made me flinch. I sat from my bed and I stared at the window from my left for a moment. I didn't move an inch as I catch my breathe from shock.

Few seconds had passed and the bang came back simultaneously from my window to the roof . I went back to my bed and cover myself on my blanket because of fear. I stop from breathing for a second as the noise went gone and then followed by two small knocks from my front door.

I thought about the kids who plays  pranks and 'trick or treats' was behind all this. Though its impossible,  its already passed midnight and kids from neighborhood don't usually go out this late to play trick on me. I've been for a long time and most of the kids around are well disciplined by their parents.

 I slowly remove my blanket and stood up from bed. My beat of my heart is tripled as I slowly walks to my door.

I was trembling but I put all the confidence that I have to open the door and face the person who's possibly behind all these crazy pranks. 

But I was more surprise when a normal guy appears in front of me. He's tall, undeniably handsome. He's wearing a dark cloak. I thought he's a lost drunk guy from a Halloween costume party. But I can't also deny the chills and dark aura he brought to my spine.

"Uhm.." I started nervously. "Excuse me? Are you a lost? I'm sorry but you maybe got a wrong address. There's no Halloween party here." I said as force myself not to shut the door on his face because his deep and dark creepy eyes just keeps on staring at me. How can a person be here in the middle of the night?

But the forced small smile on my face immediately faded away when he answered with a hoarse voice, glowing red eyes and what more stunned me was when he suddenly float into the air.

"I am Death." His voice echoed everywhere. I was dumbfounded. I trembled in fear as my heart beat is raised once again. "..and I am here for you." He even added that made the inside of me panicked. 

Small tears suddenly escaped from my eyes. My wobbling knees made me knelt into the ground.

"W-What are you saying?" I can't look at him in the eyes with my tears keeps on falling on my doorway. "Is this some kind of a joke?" my voice cracked but he's face remained blank and more scary.

"W-Why me?" I said when realization was slowly taking in. "What did I do wrong?"

My mind was at mess. I tried remembering everything I went through to be who I am today. I tried to avoid many people as mush as possible to escape their judgements, to avoid hurting someone and being hurt. I've realized it was not good, but I still tried to live that way to avoid troubles with others. Am I going to die alone? Rotting in this old apartment without anyone noticing that I'm gone?

"You're time has come." He said without hesitation, and it woke me up from reminiscing the past. He raised his right hand ready to absorb my soul but I suddenly grabbed the lower part of his cloak.

It was burning and cold at the same time with a terrifying electrifying feeling. I can't explain how painful it was but I tried my best not to show any emotion of pain. I look at him with a pleading eyes.

He was surprised, but the glare on his eyes never faded. He remained stoic.

"Please, spare me." I said sobbing but I know my pleading won't do. He stared at me for a second, and I'm not sure what he was thinking and yet my hand was still burning.

"Mortals." He 'tsk' and lowered his self to the ground. I look at him, I don't want to assume but I was looking forward to what he will say. He looks irritated but contemplating at the same time.

"I'll give you 24 hours to bid your good byes to the people you think you love the most. That burns on your hand will remain to remind you our deal. After that, I won't give you anymore chances." He said as he turns away.

"You are the only mortal I've encountered who had proven his determination of living despite how hard it has been for her. No one had ever dared to touch my cloak. Only you had did it. That's why I'm giving you the time." He left me dumbfounded with his last words as the darkness of the night swallowed him without a trace.

My tears dried out into the cold breeze of the night staring at the nothingness as my mind is at mess. Not so sure if I'll be glad to the chance he gave me or to be torn from the fact that I only have a day to live and bid my good byes.

I woke up with my hand burning like hell. When I look at it, it looks normal but it feels like its on fire. The sun is out and its already morning.

"Was it only a dream?" I said to my self while trying not hiss from the pain on my hand. I look at myself into the mirror and cried in horror when I saw my hands reflection. It was all black, burned out and slowly fading away. But when I look at it, it looks fine and normal.

I screamed in horror but no one could hear me. I was always alone, living an independent life in an old standard apartment.

"So it was not just a dream." I whispered between my sobs.

"But to whom will I spend the last 24 hours of my life?" I started to pack my things and left my apartment thinking about the people around me.

I ran outside crying out loud not sure where my feet will lead me. I don't care how people are staring at me. For the first time, I started worrying about the people I've met before. How am I to them? Did I really do a right living?

- 𝐄𝐍𝐃 -

𝐼𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑜𝑛 𝑜𝑛 𝑚𝑦 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦, 𝑡𝑜 𝑤ℎ𝑜𝑚 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑙𝑎𝑠𝑡 24 ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑙𝑖𝑓𝑒?

#adventure #HalloweenVault3D